• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska Furloughs 32 on January 5th

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There was at least 1 open flying line in LA that was Less than 70. Was the alpa stance that all flying lines need to drop to 65 or just open flying?

All lines. And since the base pay is 75 you would be assignable by scheduling. A super reserve if you will.

Last month in ETOPS training they said 15 lines were being moved from ANC to LAX - but this was NOT so they could furlough. They went on to say that an ADDITIONAL 5 new jets would be here by the end of the 1st qtr of 09'. Growth? I can't tell anymore.

Baja,

We are getting more airplanes, but I don't think the Additional meant 5 more than already on order. Before the Boeing strike we were scheduled to get 5 airplanes between October and December, then 3 in January, 1 in March, 1 in April, and 1 in November of '09.
However, We are also scheduled to get rid of 774 in January, 647, 775, and 776 in February and 783 in March. That was the plan in August. They may have shifted the deliveries to later dates, but I don't know what they have done about the lease returns. I believe they delayed one by a couple of months.

WTH? I did 68 hrs. in NOV(SEA)...not by choice. You lowtimers gotta tell me...what is your secret?

"Alaska Air Group Inc. said it may sell as many as four Boeing Co. jets as it moves to reduce capacity at its Alaska Airlines unit by about 8 percent next year."

Pretty vague if you ask me.

The way these guys spin information those four could be in your previously posted lease return projections.

Last edited:
Last month in ETOPS training they said 15 lines were being moved from ANC to LAX - but this was NOT so they could furlough.
Baja.

Did anyone actually believe the move wasn't to prepare for furloughs except perhaps the ETOPS instructors who although I like/respect most of the ones I've met, most seem the type that are at the head of the line for a glass of the Kool-Aid.

I think that the only reason they didn't furlough sooner was because of the ANC/ETOPS problem. Looking at the seniority list, now that ETOPS is no longer an issue, I think the company could furlough at least 80-90 without actually displacing anyone and managing the staffing variations just by how they balance the lines between the bases.

As far as staffing...we are not even close to being "properly staffed" in the companies eyes. The airlines goal is that every reserve in every base fly as close the minimum reserve gurantee for the month and not have to cancel/significantly delay a flight in the process. We are nowhere near that right now.

Later

SO what kind of christmas bonus is uncle Bill getting this year for this wonderful info.

WHAT A JACK***

I love it that we haven't heard a single thing from anybody at the company about the furloughs. I guess we shouldn't expect anything less from these clowns. Nothing on the the pilot web page, yet the union has already put out several e-mails on it.:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back