• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

igneousy2

Alaska's Fleet Plan for 2013/2014:

2013: +3 Aircraft
2014: -3 Aircraft

ZERO aircraft for 2 years.
49 retirements over the next two years.

I hope everyone is comfortable where they are sitting right now.

Not quite understanding what your point is? If someone is not happy with their position (left or right seat in a -73) are you saying they should consider other options....

The industry has been in a decade long, non-movement, period...... A zero growth fleet plan is not all that shocking.. Nor would it be shocking if in 6 months the fleet plan changed

Alaska's Fleet Plan for 2013/2014:

2013: +3 Aircraft
2014: -3 Aircraft

ZERO aircraft for 2 years.
49 retirements over the next two years.

I hope everyone is comfortable where they are sitting right now.

But we're growing ASM's, sooooo that's growth, right? ;)Maybe we didn't "earn the right to grow". :(

Mookie

Not quite understanding what your point is? If someone is not happy with their position (left or right seat in a -73) are you saying they should consider other options....

The industry has been in a decade long, non-movement, period...... A zero growth fleet plan is not all that shocking.. Nor would it be shocking if in 6 months the fleet plan changed

He is just saying enjoy the stagnation, nothing more.

Better than losing aircraft in 2013 like Frontier.

Maybe 5 retirements at F9.

The writing has been on the wall! These -900ER's arriving at the same or slightly decreased rate that the -400's will be leaving. The net gain in seats will come from the difference in the two airplanes, -400= 144 total seats. -900ER= 181, 37 seats being the diff!

I think managements case all along has been growth in ASM's, I think we all took that to mean more airplanes. It means more new seats on new airplanes while we get rid of the -400's. When the dust settles sometime in 2016-2018 and all of the -400's and -700's are gone, we will prob have the same or similar size fleet that we have today.

My prediction for 2018; fleet size somewhere around 126 airplanes, all -800's/-900's. approx 1,500 pilot's and they will run very lean with pilots that VSA so they can keep the pilot numbers low!

Last edited:
The writing has been on the wall! These -900ER's arriving at the same or slightly decreased rate that the -400's will be leaving. The net gain in seats will come from the difference in the two airplanes, -400= 144 total seats. -900ER= 181, 37 seats being the diff!

I think managements case all along has been growth in ASM's, I think we all took that to mean more airplanes. It means more new seats on new airplanes while we get rid of the -400's. When the dust settles sometime in 2016-2018 and all of the -400's and -700's are gone, we will prob have the same or similar size fleet that we have today.

My prediction for 2018; fleet size somewhere around 126 airplanes, all -800's/-900's. approx 1,500 pilot's and they will run very lean with pilots that VSA so they can keep the pilot numbers low!

Bingo...

Where is the fleet plan located? I couldn't find anything beyond 2013.

This from the earning call:

Glenn Engel - Bank of AmericaAnd finally when I looked at the fleet plan, it looked like you are not going to grow your fleet at all now in 2014, I thought previously you are planning on growing that fleet some, so what changed?

Brad Tilden - Chief Executive OfficerIn 2014, the plan right now is to have 10 in and I don’t have the investor update in front of me, probably a whole bunch going out. I think the answer to your question is that there is a lot of things moving around in 2014. We have a lot of flexibility. One of the uncertainties right now is what we do with the Combi fleet there is actually five of those airplanes that we want to retire here as sometime in the next two years. The other thing that we have is a whole lot of flexibility with options. And so to say firmly that we are not going to grow the fleet in 2014, I don’t think its right, I don’t think we have decided. I think the bias is to grow as long as we can do so and meet our return goals, but there is a lot of moving parts between now.

Glenn Engel
- Bank of AmericaActually, the update shows you we are going to shrink the fleet by three in 2014?

Brad Tilden - Chief Executive OfficerYeah, and that reflects the Combi is going out in 2014, there is five of those. We have tentatively packed those to go out in the fourth quarter, but again that’s still moving around.

Latest resources

Back