• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska/Delta? Probably not

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You sure seem defensive. Sounds like the same way DL feels about all of your crazy additions out of SLC. DL actually has plenty of connections into SEA on INTL and domestic flights to help fill the new additional flights. Your new ones to SLC...... Not so much. Good luck with that..

Bye Bye---General Lee

I can just see it. Anderson sitting in a meeting saying "Why don't we serve the capital of Alaska? Didn't we do it years ago in the 727?" Then a company "yes man" chimes in and says "We can do it!" Then the decision gets back to those that have to implement it and I'll bet there is a lot of sweating. Juneau is a special qual airport in regards to our ops specs. It will probably be the same for you meaning you will need specially trained pilots to go in there. Now you will have to train all these pilots for 4 months of operations. Then you will probably not get the RNP approach and might end up going to your alternate (2 hours away) once or twice every other week if the summer is nice. (LDA mins). Personally, I think the competition is good. Alaska needs it and the locals need to see why they pay a little more for the service when they are boomeranging back to Seattle after going missed. Also, it forces Alaska to up their game and try to offer a better product. Seattle-Phoenix/Tucson would have probably been a better bet for you guys.

I can just see it. Anderson sitting in a meeting saying "Why don't we serve the capital of Alaska? Didn't we do it years ago in the 727?" Then a company "yes man" chimes in and says "We can do it!" Then the decision gets back to those that have to implement it and I'll bet there is a lot of sweating. Juneau is a special qual airport in regards to our ops specs. It will probably be the same for you meaning you will need specially trained pilots to go in there. Now you will have to train all these pilots for 4 months of operations. Then you will probably not get the RNP approach and might end up going to your alternate (2 hours away) once or twice every other week if the summer is nice. (LDA mins). Personally, I think the competition is good. Alaska needs it and the locals need to see why they pay a little more for the service when they are boomeranging back to Seattle after going missed. Also, it forces Alaska to up their game and try to offer a better product. Seattle-Phoenix/Tucson would have probably been a better bet for you guys.

I'm pretty sure your Dash-8-400s go in there, and I'm pretty sure DL flies RNP approaches, but who are we kidding here? This will be Summer service, the best weather for the year at JNU. It's like you think DL can't handle tough approaches? Really? There's not enough time to figure it out, train Check Airmen? Really? You guys really need to get over yourselves. I think it'll be okay....... With connections from the US (MSP, ATL, JFK, DTW, SLC, LAX, SFO, LAS, HNL), INTL Connections (AMS, CDG, LHR, NRT, PEK, ICN, PVG, HKG, and HND) and all the DCI connections, I think DL will be able to fill a 738 to JNU, one to FAI, and 3 daily to ANC from SEA. Don't get too upset that you'll get fewer of those connections, just throw a fare sale and more lucky locals will get to go.

And have fun filling your new SLC flights.... SLC to SJC and SAN? Why? Dash-8-400s to BOI and LAS? Really? When do all of those Dashes start taking over your ANC flying btw? Do you have any scope protection? There will 140 fewer RJs over at DL when the current contract expires.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Are you a newhire? Only a newhire fresh out of training; ink still wet on the JNU checkout would gloat about a SAQ airport.

Is this a CA only airport? Needless to say, any training department at DAL, UAL, AMR, SWA etc could spin up a JNU program. It just takes time and $$. Until now the numbers didn't work...

You sure seem defensive. Sounds like the same way DL feels about all of your crazy additions out of SLC. DL actually has plenty of connections into SEA on INTL and domestic flights to help fill the new additional flights. Your new ones to SLC...... Not so much. Good luck with that..

Bye Bye---General Lee

Sorry general..not defensive just not scared..you just don't seem to get the state of Alaska..there is a reason Alaska spent so much money developing RNP..reliability sucks in se without it(year round not just in winter)..we have spent time and money making it work..now it's like clockwork..you aren't just gonna waltz in there and steal our pax..they have absolutely no incentive to fly on you..the first time their friends get in on us and your flight is sitting in ANC or Seattle it's game over..and nobody is saying it is hard to fly an RNP approach..you could sit in an Alaska jet with Alaska plates and no problem...with LDA mins hello Seattle..plus don't our pax have the same list of connections as yours with our nifty little delta code share(plus Dubai of course)..

Are you a newhire? Only a newhire fresh out of training; ink still wet on the JNU checkout would gloat about a SAQ airport.

Is this a CA only airport? Needless to say, any training department at DAL, UAL, AMR, SWA etc could spin up a JNU program. It just takes time and $$. Until now the numbers didn't work...

New hire? No. Are you Buck Rogers? Only Buck Rogers, who defeated the universe would talk out his a$$ about an airport he knows nothing about....because he's Buck Rogers and can do anything. Anyway, enough of the name calling. I see reading is not your strong suit so I'll help you out. I did not "gloat" about JNU being a SQ airport. What I said was it does not sound economical to spin a bunch of pilots up for a 4 month service. If you don't get the lower mins approaches it might not be economical also. Hope that helps!

Don"t count on summer weather being better. I did OE to JNU in August and flying into 8 and just barely seeing the little light in that narrow cut right at mins at 400 feet or so (Don't have the mins in front of me), and knowing I had a hard turn to final coming up to a runway I still didn't see and a mountain in front of me that I also couldn't see yet, with a right crosswind blowing me towards it, in a plane I had all of 15 hours in...

Gets your blood going. Now I just do it in the sim every year.

Last edited:
In Mamma's defense, all he said was that it would cost additional money and time to train pilots to fly into JNU. It wasn't condescending IMO. True, anyone can fly into JNU and other SE Alaska. Just like anything else, you get good at it after a few tries (at least most do).
When did ya'll get promoted to CEO? Dang........ I missed the boat again! Yeah dat's right, my daddy can beat up your daddy! Can't we all just get along?:rolleyes:

I just think its funny everyone is saying Juneau is nice in the summer. :)

Mookie

I just think its funny everyone is saying Juneau is nice in the summer. :)

Mookie

I guess DL will find out, but I bet it's manageable. Delta also employes 50 meteorologists, and they cover weather around the World. I have a feeling some of them can watch JNU and make sure the pilots are briefed. Thanks for your concern, it'll probably be just fine.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back