• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska/Delta? Probably not

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What happens when the 744 is retired ? What's the plan?

They were just refurbished, so 5-10 more years until they are. 787s still on order coming around 2020, and the -800s could be switched maybe to the -900 version. The way DL buys used planes (Md-90s, 717s), I could see them picking up used 777-300ERs.

I think the plan is to pay down a lot of the debt, and then make orders possibly. The only new planes coming now besides the 787s are 100 739ERs coming now at a couple per month, 30 new A321s starting in 2016, and 10 new A330s starting in 2015. The 717s are used of course, but all 88 will be on property by 2015.

There is a gap in orders, you are correct. But, SCOPE still protects the amount of flying the INTL partners can do. How's your scope overall?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Don't forget Song! They were a resounding success against jetBlue.

The plane used (single class 190+ seats) 757, was too big for most of the routes. To fill the seats, the fares were lowered, and since Jebtlue was new at the time and had lower costs overall (longevity of employees was low also, many on 1st, 2nd year pay etc), they could handle the lower fares.

Would Song fail today with the addition of bag and change fees? How about with additional costs and higher costs at JB and SWA due to more senior employees? SWA doesn't always have the lowest fares anymore, and they don't have the fuel hedge advantage.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Speaking of Delta in Los Angeles, how's that Sydney flight working out?

United has downgraded theirs to a 777 for the first time in a long time. However it's been working out for DL, it's probably going to get slightly better with 300 less seats a week on the competition.

Don't forget Song! They were a resounding success against jetBlue.

Song gets no respect but it really morphed into the DL of today. Food for sale, on demand and live TV (started by JB of course), the ala carte airline experience, and other things. A lot of the people with the ideas for Song ended up as the initial cadre at Virgin America. The main lesson learned was an airline within an airline is a bad idea. Wait wasn't this a thread about DL and AS?

Last edited:
So general what does make you nervous? Seems like delta is just gonna march along and destroy anybody who dares walk in their path..and do you really think delta is going to have the lowest fares on any route they compete with Alaska on out of Seattle? We do it cheaper and better than you do..

So general what does make you nervous? Seems like delta is just gonna march along and destroy anybody who dares walk in their path..and do you really think delta is going to have the lowest fares on any route they compete with Alaska on out of Seattle? We do it cheaper and better than you do..

Well oh-Kay then..... The deal is you didn't have much competition, and now you do. Reading some comments at the end of one of those local Juneau newspaper articles, it looked like some locals looked forward to change and a choice. The fact is, during your busiest time of the year to some of your most profitable cities, there now will be that choice. That is never good when you once had a monopoly. And now, you will do it for even cheaper. Better? Service hasn't even started yet, wait until the Summer is over to make that claim....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Please refer to latest Jd power(5 or 6 in a row..I can't remember) or on time or any rating of airlines you can find to see who does it better..and did we decide if you can use our 26 RNP in JNU yet? If not It will affect you even in summer..I'm sure Alaska will match your new flight time and there is no way you will have one fare cheaper on that flight..the only customer you will compete for is out of towners going up to vacation..why are they gonna choose delta? Fare price..schedule..service..mileage plan..reliability..options..seems like Alaska wins all those battles to me..maybe you can put a 744 on that route and kill us with gauge..

Please refer to latest Jd power(5 or 6 in a row..I can't remember) or on time or any rating of airlines you can find to see who does it better..and did we decide if you can use our 26 RNP in JNU yet? If not It will affect you even in summer..I'm sure Alaska will match your new flight time and there is no way you will have one fare cheaper on that flight..the only customer you will compete for is out of towners going up to vacation..why are they gonna choose delta? Fare price..schedule..service..mileage plan..reliability..options..seems like Alaska wins all those battles to me..maybe you can put a 744 on that route and kill us with gauge..

You sure seem defensive. Sounds like the same way DL feels about all of your crazy additions out of SLC. DL actually has plenty of connections into SEA on INTL and domestic flights to help fill the new additional flights. Your new ones to SLC...... Not so much. Good luck with that..

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back