• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That was a different story, it had to do with putting the right number of seats in a market. UAL and DAL had over capacity and the RJ was a way to reduce capacity while still maintaining schedule. Without the RJ the markets would have been abandoned.

Alaska doesn't have a capacity problem.

Off the top of my head, Alaska used to fly PDX-SMF, SEA-YVR, LAX-LTO, LAX-LAP, SEA-RNO, and more frequencies from the Northwest and the Bay Area. Now we have QX coming to Alaska.

You think DL and UA are somehow different? Alaska's management could make the same excuses and run a SkyWest CPA all over the west coast.

Off the top of my head, Alaska used to fly PDX-SMF, SEA-YVR, LAX-LTO, LAX-LAP, SEA-RNO, and more frequencies from the Northwest and the Bay Area. Now we have QX coming to Alaska.

You think DL and UA are somehow different? Alaska's management could make the same excuses and run a SkyWest CPA all over the west coast.

What was the price of oil in 2000?

Jet fuel used to be almost free and WN flew between LUV IAH and SAT.

Fuel is now an airlines single largest cost and fares have bottomed out.

Costs go up and revenue goes down. Somethings gotta give.

Routes that used to be profitable no longer are. Capacity must get cut and markets dropped. A full Q400 will always be more profitable than a half full 737, or a full one with deeply discounted fares.

The AS fleet plan is for all 737-800's and -900's. That means you're selling your product (seats) in increments of about 160. That leaves a lot of markets uneconomic. That is where the Q and the 700 fill in.

If you want to fly the Q and the CRJ in house, cool! Let's merge.

That hasn't happened over the past decade and I tend to doubt it will ever happen. AS seems to want to focus on higher yield flying with larger aircraft. Why kill yourself doing cheep work. Southwest isn't.

Rather than worrying about RJ's, you should be thinking about 787's.

Peace

[FALSE DICHOTOMY]

Rather than worrying about RJ's, you should be thinking about 787's.

[/FALSE DICHOTOMY]

I'm a worrier; I'll worry about both.

. That leaves a lot of markets uneconomic. That is where the Q and the 700 fill

Why kill yourself doing cheep work. Southwest isn't.

In one sentence you argue for the outsourcing of Alaska product. Then you justify it using a comparison to an airline that outsources none of its flying. Absolutely ridiculous.

By the way; if you can't spell "cheap", perhaps you shouldn't involve yourself in a discussion about outsourcing flying to the lowest bidder.

I'm suprised they are announcing all this "new" flying on Skywest jets before the contract has been settled ...

AAG would never give Alaska flying away to Skywest like they gave Horizon flying away to Skywest. Nothing to see here folks, move along...

Have anybody else seen the MOU attached to the contract that addresses them looking at PBS ....

Hey why not? We're giving away the store as it is by voting yes to this disaster, why not throw on PBS too? Whatever vender they want, whatever protocol they want too. Lets just give and give ourselves away back to Mesa.

Mesa and PBS do not go in the same sentance-

Latest resources

Back