Alaska Arbitration

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
QCappy said:
WTF is that supposed to mean?:confused: You need to stop drinking. Our pay rates went up significantly. I got about a 50% pay raise at the time. Some of the other crap does suck, but hey, it sure as hell wasn't a 26% pay cut.

Guess what! If you take a steaming piece of crap and increase it by 50%, it's still a piece of crap. As far as the drinking goes, its all I've got left to keep me sane.

Congratulations on even making it to arbitration now-a-days.

APA over at American Airlines started the whole trend when they caved in after 6 weeks of talks and took over 25% pay cuts across the board and got nothing in return.

QCappy said:

I've heard pay cuts or freezes and 90 seaters...Am I correct with these rumors?

-When is Horizon going to take our 900's also and run them to Pasco and Idaho Falls? I wouldn't put it past management to pull something like that...

Lets Harmonize, taxi slow, and burn some fuel...

I'm pissed

BORAT said:
I've heard pay cuts or freezes and 90 seaters...Am I correct with these rumors?

-When is Horizon going to take our 900's also and run them to Pasco and Idaho Falls? I wouldn't put it past management to pull something like that...

Lets Harmonize, taxi slow, and burn some fuel...

I'm pissed

A few months ago one of our paper pushers who wishes he was a pilot said he was going to a meeting with Air Group people a couple of days later to discuss CRJ 900's. What came of that who knows?

As far as pay for those things, our contract is unfortunately crappy when it comes to new aircraft. Here's what is says:

SECTION 10 NEW AIRCRAFT SECTION​

A. Direct Negotiations​

Should the Company announce its intent to place into revenue service aircraft other than theaircraft for which rates of pay are specified in this Agreement, the Union and the Companyshall meet to negotiate rates of pay for such aircraft at a mutually agreed upon time, but notlater than ninety (90) days before the aircraft is to be placed in service. The rates of pay forsuch aircraft agreed upon shall be retroactive for all hours flown in the new aircraft. If, after 60 days from the commencement of negotiations, no Agreement is reached, the parties shall submit the matter to arbitration.

B. Arbitration

Arbitration will be conducted by a third party neutral mutually agreed to by the parties. If agreement on an arbitrator is not reached, the parties will strike arbitrators from the panel of arbitrators set forth in the system Board of Adjustment section.

C. Conduct of Arbitration

The arbitrator will conduct the arbitration within 30 days after his selection, or as soon thereafter as he is available, and issue a decision within 45 days after the close of the arbitration. The arbitration will be conducted by the arbitrator and one board member each from the Union and the Company and decided by a majority decision. The award will be limited to rates of pay for new aircraft, as set forth in A. above. The Award shallnot be less than the lower proposal nor higher than the higher proposal. The arbitrator may consider industry rates of pay and practices and the arguments and evidence submitted to him by the parties.

Yep the dreaded "A" word. Let's see. Mesa is the only ones flying CRJ 900. We all know how little they get paid. We'd be screwed!

Last edited:
I can't imagine 900's at Horizon. They have enough problems taking delivery of 700's over the Dash 400's. Jets are too expensive to operate. Just like Alaska isn't profitable.

Getter said:
Guess what! If you take a steaming piece of crap and increase it by 50%, it's still a piece of crap. As far as the drinking goes, its all I've got left to keep me sane.

I nearly wasted 2 minutes of my time responding to this one before realizing that it would be akin to hunting dairy cattle with a high powered rifle and scope.

QCappy said:
Although it may not mean much to the guys at Alaska right now, I have talked with several of my fellow QX pilots and we are not only stunned by the results, but are extremely angry with it as well. As the other half of the Air Group we are now going to taxi just as slow behind the eskimo's, etc. and feel it is a blow to us as well.
I haven't been to work since this came down, but I guarantee I will make sure every other captain at Horizon knows my position that we as pilots of the Air Group will not stand for this BS, and will back our brothers at Alaska.
You're an idiot, and an embarrassment.

...probable from UND!

I was at Horizon when that contract came down, and I can tell you it was the best they could get. I had problems with a lot of it, especially the wording and voted against it. However, to somehow think that Horizon sold themselves out is seriously mistaken. That contract had wages that were above Comair's hourly rate, and they had just struck for 87 days to get it. There is no way the NMB would have released the pilots, they would have called a recess with Bush in the White House.

Horizon won't get 737's because of scope. Unfortunately, not Alaska scope, because we are such wimps we never demanded scope, Horizon is scoped by Northwest to 74 seats on code share routes. I think that covers every Horizon flight. Besides, with Alaska's new costs the seat/mile costs on the 737 are far below what any RJ could do.

Rotate140 said:
You're an idiot, and an embarrassment.

...probable from UND!

Care to elaborate? I am waiting to hear something halfway intelligent from you.

....and the word is probably.....of which I am most certainly not!

Oh....and I voted NO!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back