• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska Airlines Prepares to Strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is all a retard tic-tac-toe game. You know the scene in War Games where WOPR play it over and over and over? That's all this is.

They O there, we X there. It's sooo formulaic.

The next press release will be something about the company hoping to work hard to reach an agreement and that they want to avert a strike, but the union is unwilling to negotiate. We say, nuh-uh! You won't negotiate. Etc. for another 12-24 months.

Etc. for another 12-24 months.

Perhaps. But if the company doesn't change their tune perhaps not. Even the mediator said, in essence, he will not let them drag this out. And that is a mediator appointed by Bush's extrordinarily anti-labor NMB. You may be right, but I hope your'e preparing for a strike as though it will be much sooner. It just might be. My opinion is we want to be the first to ask to be released by the new NMB. Obama may want to show right at the start he is not anti-labor. Time will tell, but better to assume it will be sooner than later.

My opinion is we want to be the first to ask to be released by the new NMB.

The company already has a press release ready to go that says they've asked to be released (to be issued once we've asked for it, of course).

The company already has a press release ready to go that says they've asked to be released (to be issued once we've asked for it, of course).

Probably, but screw em. They can put out whatever press release they want. But I believe it is in our best interest to be the first pilot group to approach the new NMB and ask to be released. It will be a political decision ofcourse. I believe the new administration will want to set a more pro-labor tone. So being the first to ask would be beneficial to us. No release = no contract.

I too find it interesting that the mediator has made statements that put pressure on the company.
Mediators are in essence political animals. They are appointed by politicians and expected to act a certain way, but they always need to have one toe on the line in the center. Perhaps we are being used by the mediator, and the members of the NMB that would like to stay in the profession after Bush leaves office, to demonstrate that they aren't just lackeys for management. Personally, I could care less as long as they take my side, but if you look at that aspect of it, there is another reason for them to act in our favor. They want to be seen to take more than one side in different issues like our ol' buddy Dick Kasher. They may be vehement anti-union types but at some point they have to take the other side if they want to ever be arbitrators. If we happen to be the ones who are on the plus side of that equation, so be it.
Anything that tips the lever toward my goal I will take.

We can not do this. Precedence has been set. UAL ALPA just got slapped with a Court injunction for this type of action. Their web board was shutdown and used against them in court. ALPA actually has the legal responsibility to ensure there is no increase in sick time, fatigue calls, maintenance write ups, fuel usage. They cannot say "Fly the contract". If there is any change to "Status Quo" at all, we will loose. I don't like this, I am just pointing to recent events.

"This court injunction will help you understand why ALPA is acting like it is. They cannot instigate any of this, in fact they must discourage it."

Pound sand
Green Banana. As an individual free man you can do anything that your ballz allow....That is our problem....A bunch of scared little silver spooners afraid of their own shadows....Dont hurt me or I might not be able to live in SEA......Grow up and grow a pair...Alpa can say all they want but they have no control over us....We need to be causing ALPA every day to beg us to not misbehave......EFF em I say...Lets take some of our own hostages...........

Oh yea EFF the court and that judge....she needs to look over her shoulder

Question to all:

What happens to a pilot group that is out on strike and the company gets bought? Does the buying airlines pilot's get our aircraft and routes and is there any SLI?

Hmmmmmnnnnnnnn??????

Baja.

The union can't publicly endorse a work to rule campaign and might even be bullied into making a public statement discouraging one, but it damn sure can't compel any individual pilot to do anything other than work to rule. People either get it or they don't.

Latest resources

Back