Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GuppyPuppy said:
Thanks SC-

A few years ago before I was furloughed from United I was talking with a friend of mine at Alaska. He told me that with my background of being a United pilot I could pretty much kiss my chances of flying for Alaska goodbye.

Any thoughts?

Still hoping...should have the PIC by this time next year.

GP

I don't think that's true anymore. You just have to say something like, "All I ever wanted to do was fly for Alaska but I was having a hard time getting an interview. United called and I had to think about feeding my family and sending my kids to college so I elected to take the position even though in my heart I always pictured myself being an Alaska Airlines pilot". Or something along those lines. They used to ask, "How are you going to make ends meet on what we pay you? I have a friend at (XYZ) Airlines that makes thousands more than me. Why would you want to work here rather than there?" I wouldn't be surprised it that one comes back. We have a couple of guys leaving for FedEx apparently.

We have guys leaving for Fedex, SWA, UAE, Boeing, and corporate. I also know of one that is leaving aviation all together to tend to their own business. This on top of the dozen or so guys that would rather be in Iraq than working for the Eskimo.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the medical bennies start? 3 months, 6?

It's been a while but I seem to remember something about the 1st of the following month after you've been on the property for 30 days.

Singlecoil said:
Since our pay is down in the bottomfeeder range now I would think something would have to give to fill the ranks.

doen't look that bad once you make capt...A plan, B plan, profit sharing. better for airline longevity. however a career as a FO doesn't look too promising.:)

Latest resources

Back