Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

KCPilot

Mouse and Keyboard Pilot
I know that Alaska is not hiring right now, but does anyone know if the 750 PIC min requirement is Part 1 or Part 61?

Actually they are hiring right now. Interviews will commence near the end of the month. I can't answer your question though, sorry.

Singlecoil said:
Actually they are hiring right now. Interviews will commence near the end of the month. I can't answer your question though, sorry.

Hey Singlecoil -

First of all, GREAT avatar! Purple haze for everyone!

Do you think you could get Capt. Majer to lower the PIC turbine requirement to allow a former bush pilot to get an interview???

Still hoping that one day I can operate an Alaska jet into my hometown - JNU.

GP

Singlecoil,

Do you know if interview calls have gone out? Has anyone out there been called for an interview yet?

To those of you considering applying, your first move should be to find someone that is willing to provide you with a recommendation. Alaska hasn't interviewed in years, so it only stands to reason that they will be very selective. I have heard directly from those involved in the process that they have "set a bar" as far as what qualifications they will require for interviews. While I couldn't get out of him exactly where this "bar" stands (yet), I plan to keep trying. They also will require the magic recommendation. As far as interview calls going out, I'm not sure. I am sure that they haven't started interviewing yet, but they will need to get going on this very soon if they plan to have people ready for classes in Nov and beyond.

So, things are starting to move just a bit here, however even though we are beginning a new hiring push, the numbers aren't going to be huge. Maybe 150 between now and the end of next year. While it's better than it has been in the past several years, they still aren't hiring in such numbers that they can't choose exactly who and what they want. And who and what they want are the types of applicants that have been successful in the past. Successful in the interview, in training, and on the line. This is part of that "bar" I was told about. Read into that what you will.

Good luck to those that are interested.

GuppyPuppy said:
Hey Singlecoil -

First of all, GREAT avatar! Purple haze for everyone!

Do you think you could get Capt. Majer to lower the PIC turbine requirement to allow a former bush pilot to get an interview???

Still hoping that one day I can operate an Alaska jet into my hometown - JNU.

GP

Since our pay is down in the bottomfeeder range now I would think something would have to give to fill the ranks. Being a former bush pilot definitely helps, though. It seems they like to have several sources: military (about half), Horizon/other regionals, and guys/gals with bush experience. If your experience touches more than one of those, that could be a plus.

Does anyone on the inside have the specifics of how the new process will work? I have a silver bullet and a LOR, but it seems to be a mystery since the PM took over the hiring process. Anyone getting calls yet?

Singlecoil said:
Since our pay is down in the bottomfeeder range now I would think something would have to give to fill the ranks. Being a former bush pilot definitely helps, though. It seems they like to have several sources: military (about half), Horizon/other regionals, and guys/gals with bush experience. If your experience touches more than one of those, that could be a plus.

Thanks SC-

A few years ago before I was furloughed from United I was talking with a friend of mine at Alaska. He told me that with my background of being a United pilot I could pretty much kiss my chances of flying for Alaska goodbye.

Any thoughts?

Still hoping...should have the PIC by this time next year.

GP

Latest resources

Back