• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska Airlines petitions DOT on Virgin status

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can still remember the interview Branson did with Stephen Colbert. He kept referring to Virgin America as "my airline".

Have also heard rumors that SRB is buying VA tickets to give the company desperately needed cash.

He needs a good swift kick in the nuts.

GP

Have also heard rumors that SRB is buying VA tickets to give the company desperately needed cash.

He needs a good swift kick in the nuts.

GP

If that were true there would be a huge no-show rate, which is simply not happening. Loads aren't great (but they probably aren't at your airline right now either.) but we can see what the load will be early in the day, and the actual load tends to be quite close. You're blowing smoke.

If that were true there would be a huge no-show rate, which is simply not happening.

Unless they're overbooking on top of the flights. What can you get away with legally?

In theory, how many seats could they sell? Say their plane holds 160, could Branson then just book the legal limit over that when the flight is ready to leave the gate?

Wait til the govt cathches on to those blocks of ticket purchases by an obscure travel agency that obviously will never get used. I am sure you Redwood guys will get your panties in a wad but it is happening and before you thump you chest and swing to another tree no i dont have official proof but I am sure others do.

2 Of the greatest days in my career

The shutdown of skybus and the other hasnt happended yet..

Does it really matter what their ownership status is at this moment? Even if Virgin is in violation, all that will happen is they will be given an ultimatum to comply and they will. Case closed!

I think they would need a US based entity invest a certain amount of money in the company. With the way things are, this may be hard to find.

Good idea.

You mean to tell me the powers at Alaska think this is a good idea?

You will approach the new administration that has yet to unpack and you think they'll drop everything for this?

That they'll drop new business to re-tread the inspection of the most scrutinized start-up ever?

When this country is losing thousands of jobs, they will actually work for more job losses by shuttering the doors?

The Obama administration has been accused of fostering trade protectionism, so they will fight that by throwing out a foreign investor and risk losing billions and billions in a trade war?

All over an airline that has, what, 22-24 aircraft?

What about Jet Blue?

And never mind Allegiant is eating your lunch as well.

The only thing Alaska's admitting is they cannot compete. It sounds like desperation or just plain panic.

[FONT=&quot]Sorry to hear things are that bad.[/FONT]

You will approach the new administration that has yet to unpack and you think they'll drop everything for this?

That they'll drop new business to re-tread the inspection of the most scrutinized start-up ever?

When this country is losing thousands of jobs, they will actually work for more job losses by shuttering the doors?

The Obama administration has been accused of fostering trade protectionism, so they will fight that by throwing out a foreign investor and risk losing billions and billions in a trade war?

Gee, you don't think the President himself will put off picking a new puppy to fly over and help us? 'Cus that's what we thought would happen.

Scutinized? I don't know much about that to be honest, but if it was scrutinized by the same folks who scrutinized KBR, Halliburton, etc, then I'd say it might take another looking at.

And it's not a matter of losing jobs or gaining jobs, it's who is going to keep said jobs, in my opinion. Personally, I'd rather a an established pilot group stuck around rather than have slash and burn airlines start up.

Gee, you don't think the President himself will put off picking a new puppy to fly over and help us? 'Cus that's what we thought would happen.

Scutinized? I don't know much about that to be honest, but if it was scrutinized by the same folks who scrutinized KBR, Halliburton, etc, then I'd say it might take another looking at.

And it's not a matter of losing jobs or gaining jobs, it's who is going to keep said jobs, in my opinion. Personally, I'd rather a an established pilot group stuck around rather than have slash and burn airlines start up.

Again, most all of VA's pilots were "established" at other U.S. carriers, and with no other real options for re-employment....

Out of curiosity, is there an issue with ALK "code sharing" with V Australia out of LAX, since those are foreign pilots operating the long haul portion of the flying? I mean jeez, VA's pilots have paid dues, walked lines and supported their previous pilot groups, and yet you seem to want to toss them under the bus. Give them some time to get re-established and see where it goes.

Skipper

tzskipper,

The pilots at VA have nothing to do with whether or not the company is following the laws set forth for a U.S. Domestic airline. If VA cannot classify itself legally as a U.S. owned and controlled airline, then it opens a huge can of worms for you, me and the rest of the "established" airline pilots throughout this country and should not be allowed to operate. If it can pass scrutiny then they should be allowed to continue.

I don't think anyone really believes that SRB doesn't exert a great deal of influence, especially financially, to his pet project here in the States. Hell even VA folks have bragged about how his deep pockets will keep them afloat.

Alaska Airlines, and every other domestic carrier out there, has every right to ensure that a direct competitor is not sidestepping the laws and competing unfairly.

You mean to tell me the powers at Alaska think this is a good idea?

All over an airline that has, what, 22-24 aircraft?

What about Jet Blue?

And never mind Allegiant is eating your lunch as well.

The only thing Alaska's admitting is they cannot compete. It sounds like desperation or just plain panic.

[FONT=&quot]Sorry to hear things are that bad.[/FONT]

We have a winner.....

Latest resources

Back