• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RedDogC130

EPS ex-items profit $2.33; Street view $2.26
* Alaska performance driven by fuel cost declines
WASHINGTON, Oct 22 (Reuters) - Alaska Air Group Inc (ALK.N), the parent of low-cost carrier Alaska Airlines, reported what it called its best quarterly results in years on Thursday, with the help of sharply lower fuel prices.
Alaska said net income was $87.6 million, or $2.46 per share, compared with a net loss of $86.5 million, or $2.40 per share in the comparable period last year.
Excluding special items, net income was $83 million, or $2.33 per share, compared with $39.9 million, or $1.10 per share, in 2008.
Analysts on average had expected $2.26 per share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Chief Executive Bill Ayer, in a statement, called the third quarter results "our best quarterly financial performance in many years."
While operating revenues were off, fuel prices fell from $575 million last year to just under $200 million in the June-September period.

Well, I guess they beat the estimate by analysis, but not the actual expectations on the street. I was actually expecting about 10Mil more.

Well, I guess they beat the estimate by analysis, but not the actual expectations on the street. I was actually expecting about 10Mil more.

I'm confused. When you said, "the actual expectations on the street," were you talking about Wall Street or Main Street?

Last edited:
Here's an idea.........minimize profits while you have employees on furlough. If you can't come through on the promises you make when you hire someone...then guess what - you keep your profits low.

Baja.

When did Alaska become a "low-cost carrier"?

Latest resources

Back