• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Alaska Air posts best quarter in "years"

RedDogC130

Total Time
enough
EPS ex-items profit $2.33; Street view $2.26
* Alaska performance driven by fuel cost declines
WASHINGTON, Oct 22 (Reuters) - Alaska Air Group Inc (ALK.N), the parent of low-cost carrier Alaska Airlines, reported what it called its best quarterly results in years on Thursday, with the help of sharply lower fuel prices.
Alaska said net income was $87.6 million, or $2.46 per share, compared with a net loss of $86.5 million, or $2.40 per share in the comparable period last year.
Excluding special items, net income was $83 million, or $2.33 per share, compared with $39.9 million, or $1.10 per share, in 2008.
Analysts on average had expected $2.26 per share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Chief Executive Bill Ayer, in a statement, called the third quarter results "our best quarterly financial performance in many years."
While operating revenues were off, fuel prices fell from $575 million last year to just under $200 million in the June-September period.

CesnaCaptn

Total Time
I don't get it. ALK beats the street by 7 cents and it's rewarded by getting whacked 5 percent?

Green Banana

Request Direct Honolulu..
Well, I guess they beat the estimate by analysis, but not the actual expectations on the street. I was actually expecting about 10Mil more.

Mea25000

Total Time
the stock should be at about 35 in the next couple of months or so after we are bought.

CesnaCaptn

Total Time
Well, I guess they beat the estimate by analysis, but not the actual expectations on the street. I was actually expecting about 10Mil more.

I'm confused. When you said, "the actual expectations on the street," were you talking about Wall Street or Main Street?

Last edited:

Going2Baja

Total Time
10k+
Here's an idea.........minimize profits while you have employees on furlough. If you can't come through on the promises you make when you hire someone...then guess what - you keep your profits low.

Baja.

ImbracableCrunk

Unregistered Un-User
Total Time
6AM
When did Alaska become a "low-cost carrier"?

wscrj

Arctic Humboldt
Total Time
10000+
AS lost (on Thursday) because Oil spiked....and now Oil is dropping and AS (as well as others) are up.

All part of the speculation money machine.

Singlecoil

I don't reMember
Total Time
Nice, why don't act like your avatar and choke on your own vomit.

Good one.

The point was that airlines are horrible investments and an employee is the last person that should own stock in an airline. In one unfortunate accident, you could lose your job and your retirement if the company goes under.

Mookie

luckiest man alive
Total Time
Good one.

The point was that airlines are horrible investments and an employee is the last person that should own stock in an airline. In one unfortunate accident, you could lose your job and your retirement if the company goes under.

He meant that you insinuated another Plane Crash...not market crash. If it was market crash...then your point is noted, if it's plane crash, then your comment was in VERY poor taste.

Mookie

Singlecoil

I don't reMember
Total Time
He meant that you insinuated another Plane Crash...not market crash. If it was market crash...then your point is noted, if it's plane crash, then your comment was in VERY poor taste.

Mookie

I meant plane crash. Something you have to think about if you are investing in an airline. I certainly don't want that to happen, but that would certainly put your investment at risk.

Mookie

luckiest man alive
Total Time
I meant plane crash. Something you have to think about if you are investing in an airline. I certainly don't want that to happen, but that would certainly put your investment at risk.

then you would be considered truly a psychopath. good luck with that....

mookie