• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Al Franken Wants Computers Out Of The Cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If it turns out that the crew was dishonest or deceptive about what was going on in the flight deck, expect more monitoring. That may mean more standardization with CVR's, cameras, telemetry, and policy.
It also is going to shine a big spot light on the Military and why they didn't get fighters in the air faster.

Has anyone noticed how quiet ALPA has been on this?

what about the airlines that have their manuals on laptops?

While I agree that Franken is a slim-ball politician (along with 99% of the rest)......this is why pilots [most] never make good managers or politicians; You don't actually read anything.

---------------------------------
Below is the actual letter he sent: [emphasis by me]

Dear Secretary Hood:
On Thursday, Delta Flight 188 from San Diego overshot Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP) by 150 miles, flying into Wisconsin before turning around and landing safely at its intended destination. Fortunately, in this case, passengers were unharmed. Unfortunately, this was not an isolated incident. Yesterday’s overshoot, the February 2008 overshoot in Hawaii, and the nine hour Rochester tarmac delay in August, all highlight the critical need to revamp our national air traffic control system.

As the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) conducts a full investigation of Thursday’s overshoot, I ask that you take additional measures to review all relevant operational protocols and regulations. Everything possible must be done to ensure public safety and prevent similar incidents from happening in the future.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is currently reviewing the rules governing how many hours commercial pilots may fly and remain on duty. Preliminary reports suggest that pilot distraction and/or fatigue may have been contributing factors in the Flight 188 overshoot. Ensuring that flight crews receive adequate rest is key to maintaining a safe aviation system. I ask that you work with Administrator Babbitt to expedite that process.

Furthermore, as passengers fly across the country, we must ensure appropriate and effective communications between flight crews, cabin crews, dispatchers, and ground crews. To that end, I also ask that you work with Administrator Babbitt to review the Sterile Cockpit Rule and its implementation to make any necessary adjustments to improve communications between all parties involved in commercial flights.

As you investigate this matter, I respectfully ask that you keep me updated on any findings and steps the Department is taking. I thank you for your leadership and appreciate your assistance on these matters.

http://franken.senate.gov/press/?pa...For_Immediate_Investigation_Of_Airline_Policy

----------------------------------------------

Furthermore, if you actually read the news article linked, it reads:

"Minnesota Sen. Al Franken called Monday for a ban on the use of personal laptops in the cockpit"

Where Cynthia Dizikes got that from is anyone's guess as it's neither quoted nor does it appear in any press releases.

If you are a true Republican: "Trust, but verify"

Al missed freshman orientation where they discussed the prohibition of Junior Senators introducing their dung to 4th floor capital porcelain much less a piece of legislation in their first year!

Tool! Acorn or not, enough of you idiots in MN made the race close enough, this dumbarse demanded enough recounts until he could claim 'overwhelming' victory.

100-1/2

another example of you retards not even knowing what the guy said and getting your panties in a wad. Nice work. Turn off the Beck.

another example of you retards not even knowing what the guy said and getting your panties in a wad. Nice work. Turn off the Beck.

http://franken.senate.gov/press/?pa...=Franken_Calls_For_Ban_On_Laptops_In_Cockpits

Franken Calls For Ban On Laptops In Cockpits
“Texting while flying” blamed for Flight 188 incident
Washington, D.C. [Oct 26, 2009] – In light of the stunning admission that pilots were using personal laptops during last week’s flight, which overshot its Minneapolis destination by 150 miles and lost radio contact for 75 minutes, U.S. Sen. Franken (D-Minn.) is calling for a ban on the use of personal laptops in the cockpit.

Sen. Franken has already requested an expedited National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigation that re-examines the rules and regulations governing cockpit behavior.

“We don’t tolerate texting while driving and we’re certainly not standing for it while flying,” said Sen. Franken. “It would be unthinkable to allow a driver to use a laptop. A pilot responsible for the lives of dozens if not hundreds of passengers needs to be that much more focused on the job.”

NTSB preliminary findings have stated that the source of the distraction was not a “heated discussion of airline policy” as originally claimed, but the use of laptops in the cockpit, which can obscure the view of dashboard instruments and further distract pilots.

While the use of personal computers was prohibited by company policy, there is no national ban on the behavior. Sen. Franken is asking the Federal Aviation Administration to create a regulation prohibiting any pilot of any airline from using a personal laptop while flying a plane.

Hey Sherlock, care to retract your statement? Or do you have any more wrong knowledge you'd like to share?

As pax, I want the extra mileage added to my frequent flyer miles.

If laptops are banned from the cockpit, everything will have to be printed on paper. AL FRANKEN HATES TREES!!!!! Quick...tell the Sierra Club!

Latest resources

Back