Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran's cash position dwindling quickly!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BR715

We lost 118 million for the fourth quarter. Down to 340 million in cash. One more quarter like this and I think we might have to go into bankruptcy! Discuss.

We lost 118 million for the fourth quarter. Down to 340 million in cash. One more quarter like this and I think we might have to go into bankruptcy! Discuss.

Read the release... most cash on hand since 2005. I wouldn't worry just yet. Plus, we had an operating income of almost $55 million in the 4th Quarter. Yes, I know, there was a huge hit on bad hedges but we aren't the only ones who got bit on the ass for that. Things could be much worse.

Highest year end cash position Airtran has ever had. Plus it was a 55ish million dollar operating Profit, the highest ever, with a one time charge for unwinding fuel hedges resulting in a loss. I am sure it is enough for big BOB to take a 5 million dollar bonus and tell us we can't have a contract.

The sky's the limit!!! Keep right on whistling by the graveyard....

-The reason they have a lot of cash is because the credit card people were about to pull a "Frontier" on them, and increase their holdback.... Airtran had no choice but to start stacking bucks-they did so by selling planes and other vital assets which restrict growth opportunities. I am sure AirTran would like to be taking advantage of places the big "D"" is pulling back in.

No one is safe in this economy-Obama will only make it far worse.

-The reason they have a lot of cash is because the credit card people were about to pull a "Frontier" on them, and increase their holdback.... Airtran had no choice but to start stacking bucks-they did so by selling planes and other vital assets which restrict growth opportunities. I am sure AirTran would like to be taking advantage of places the big "D"" is pulling back in.

Hey you idiot the man has only been in office one week. He didn't put this country in a recession. Fuel didn't go to a all time high under his watch. Foreclosures at a all time high didn't come about under his watch. Airlines didn't go into bankruptcy under his watch (Delta, US Airways, United, ATA, Frontier, Northwest, Aloha, Independence Air, Skybus, Champion).
I do know that under the previous administration we watched our industry get beat down. Pilots lost their pensions, labor contracts have been destroyed, and the National Mediation Board has used the previous administration guidelines to prevent managements from negotiating labor contracts fairly by stalling and finding loop holes against labor.

PLEASE don't make this a political topic. This countries ECONOMY has gone to HELL in the last eight years! Any airline pilot here who hasn't felt it is being very naive. You may not like who the next president is, but he is the president! He has a monumental task to turn this countries economy around and he needs the support of the american people. The problems with this economy stem from GREED and SELFISHNESS! Look at that piece of trash that gave millions of dollars in bonus' to Merrill Lynch executives, then had the nerve to ask us the tax payers to bail his ass out! Back in 2002 Stephen Wolf and his executives asked the government for a bailout through the ATSB Loans and then walked away with 35 million dollars. US Airways went into bankruptcy and the pilots lost their pensions.

Things will probable get a little worse before they get better. But at least we didn't hear that the economy was sound for a whole year before the previous administration would admit that we were in a recession. Don't make this about our president, it's about your damn CEO's that are stealing from the american people and the hard workers of this country! Now, back to my breakfast!!!!

Last edited:
AAI was down to 317 million a few quarter ago. With fuel where it is at, they should be fine in the short turn.

Everyone is burning though cash. I do not have the number in front of me but most of the majors went though about a billion each last quarter. Now of course you need to look where it went, but the fact is that everyone is burning cash.

Actually, the CEO told an interviewer last week that the creditcard holdback was up to 50%. The cash reported on hand at the end of the year, $340 million, is unrestricted cash. AirTran did not give out the amount that is being heldback, although they did mention that they had $30 million tied up in fuel hedge collateral.

What do I know, I thought it looked pretty bad, but the stock is up 10%.

Latest resources

Back