• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So if the US$ strengthens and the price drops does that still hold AAI at $2.90.

No, for a couple of reasons.

One, because only a portion of our fuel expenses are hedged. As of today's conference call, our remaining fuel for the year has been 50% hedged at an equivalent of $3.00/gallon. So if oil drops and gas prices plunge below that level, then our overall cost drops, just not as much as the fuel price itself drops since we're still 50% hedged. In other words, the hedges dilute the drop or rise in fuel costs.

Also, remember that hedges aren't really a fixed price that we pay on fuel. A hedge just means that we're "hedging against" fuel costs by purchasing futures in other commodities, usually heating oil or something similar. In other words, we're diluting the increase or decrease in fuel costs. If oil prices increase to $150/bbl, then the adjusted fuel costs net including hedges would be higher than the quoted $3.00/gallon. Likewise, if fuel prices dropped, then net fuel costs would be less than the quoted $3.00/gallon. When they state that we are hedged at $3.00/gallon, that is based on current fuel prices factoring in the hedges. If fuel prices change, then that changes the net fuel cost also including the hedges.

I don't know why you think there is going to be a significant drop in the price of oil. We still have a full Hurricane season to go. If one major Hurricane hits the Gulf of Mexico, look out. Remember Katrina, Rita, and the storms of 2005. That is what started this fuel mess and we haven't been back since!

I don't know why you think there is going to be a significant drop in the price of oil. We still have a full Hurricane season to go. If one major Hurricane hits the Gulf of Mexico, look out. Remember Katrina, Rita, and the storms of 2005. That is what started this fuel mess and we haven't been back since!

Where did I say there was going to be a significant drop in the price of oil?

Could you guys have a staff meeting and decide which board (Majors or LLC's) you will be posting. It gets confusing.

When I am overseas the price hasn't changed much at all...the problem here is the US$ is worth less and less each day... if the $ starts to come back it will drive the cost of a barrel of oil down in the US

How do we control one of the worlds oil rich country and oil prices here at home go through the roof???

And the current administration just prints more money to pay for all the debt it has got us into. With printing money, only cause inflation and weakens the dollar. basic money 101.

Can't wait till this AD. is gone !!!! BYE BYE BUSH, hopefully we are done with the Bush's forever !!!

How do we control one of the worlds oil rich country and oil prices here at home go through the roof???

And the current administration just prints more money to pay for all the debt it has got us into. With printing money, only cause inflation and weakens the dollar. basic money 101.

Can't wait till this AD. is gone !!!! BYE BYE BUSH, hopefully we are done with the Bush's forever !!!

Well I would like to see them stick around for their trial and hanging.

Latest resources

Back