Airtran?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Scarabus

Anyone know how stable airtran is these days. Was going to try for an interview but not sure I should even try for a few months. I still have a job and my paychecks don't bounce. Yet!

Probably about as stable as you can find in this industry nowadays. We'll probably post a loss for the first quarter and for the year, but I'm not worried about the company disappearing. If oil climbs up to $125/bbl, you can probably expect furloughs, though.

Do you know how many pilots are on the street now? I would apply, talk to folks, get an interview, and then make your decision. No one is recession proof but I think AirTran will be fine, or at least in a better position than most others.

Last edited:
I don't wish anyone ill will, but did you happen to see the massive sell off of stock on Friday afternoon? I am just glad it bounced a little before the close. Monday morning will be interesting.

The whole airline industry is back in survival mode...again. They all have thrown out the proverbial anchor, stopped training and start talking consolidation. If I was about to jump ship to go anywhere voluntarily right now,....wait a minute, I wouldn't do that. At least not voluntarily.

Wish everyone the best.

Last edited:
You should do a search for press releases and articles related to the stock dip on Friday. It was nothing but alarmism by speculators that was completely unwarranted. In after-hours trading, the stock rebounded and made up most its losses. On Monday you can expect it to rebound the rest of the way. We've actually added to our cash position during the quarter and will continue adding to it throughout the second quarter, according to the latest data released.

Just curious how AT was able to improve their cash position in the first quarter. Were they able to make make money with 110 dollar oil or did they raise money somewhere else?

Just curious how AT was able to improve their cash position in the first quarter. Were they able to make make money with 110 dollar oil or did they raise money somewhere else?

they made money on the aircraft deals they have made. i have no clue if they receive cash, line of credit, or dole out financing for them. i would imagine operationally they are close to breaking even.

That's a good question. Details won't be available until the earnings call later this month. All we know right now is that the cash position has increased and is expected to continue increasing in the 2nd quarter. As for the aircraft sales, I'm not sure that those have even been finalized yet. They might not appear on the balance sheet until the 2nd quarter.

Looking at reports here in Atlanta today Sunday April 13, 2008, the Delta and Northwest merger may be announced in the next 48 hours. Again according to news reports here. If the merger between Delta and Northwest are announced in the next 48 hours, everything will change in this industry. The consolidation bug will have begun and everyone including AirTran will be looking for dance partners. I believe this will be the most interesting week for all of us in the airline industry if these reports are accurate.

But to answer your initial question, with fuel at $110 dollars a barrel, every airline is on shaky ground. EDUCATE yourself, every night the news on all levels has been talking about the airline industry. Do any of us on this board know what will happen........NO!

I think you should stay where you at for now, sitting at the bottom of ANY airline's seniority list is not a good idea right now.

Eagle, I read that report, I wonder what will happen to Midwest, I agree with you it will be an interesting week ahead.

Latest resources

Back