• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran upgraded on consolidation outlook with Southwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Uh huh. Three-year Airtran captains with nine-year SWA f.o.s? I don't really see that working out.

I thought upgrades were running 5-7 years at SW, why would someone still be an FO at nine years - unless it is by choice. If it is by choice then that person is hanging it out there and may get "caught with their shorts down" when/if consolidation begins. That's what our bypassing FO's have to think about every time they bypass CA upgrade for quality of life. It is a tough call and should not be taken lightly in this volatile period of time.

I know you think I'm crazy but I predict next week SWA will announce the purchase of a scaled down ATA Airlines and future plans for an agressive International expansion in Q4 of this year.

No specifics at this time but that's my opinion and some others closer to the money trail.

I thought upgrades were running 5-7 years at SW, why would someone still be an FO at nine years - unless it is by choice. If it is by choice then that person is hanging it out there and may get "caught with their shorts down" when/if consolidation begins. That's what our bypassing FO's have to think about every time they bypass CA upgrade for quality of life. It is a tough call and should not be taken lightly in this volatile period of time.

Right now projections show 9yr first available up-grades with the current slowdown and slowed growth.

That last paragraph is the exact reason to not merge with FL. SWA or anyone else would have to pay too much to dance. While FL would offer some routes to cities that SWA doesn't serve, there is little high rev. international flying, and lots and lots of route duplication. Not to mention the B717's. A dead airplane with limited capability as compared to other airframes out there.

Now if FL starts to lose money and gets close to BK, then watch out. There might even be a bidding war.

Regarding 717s. AirTran has tons of options for 737s. Should something like a merger happen I believe the outcome would be an all 737 fleet.

That was until age 65 and growth reductions....10-12 yrs is the projection now.

Sounds like this guy doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

If he doesn't even know where SWA is based, why would anyone pay any attention to anything he says about the industry?

OHHHH the irony, the pot calling the kettle black.

Regarding 717s. AirTran has tons of options for 737s. Should something like a merger happen I believe the outcome would be an all 737 fleet.

Well then you just added two more reasons not to merge.

Are WN's "options" cheaper than FL's?

Making a merged WN/FL all-B737 fleet isn't cheap. Probably more expensive to dump the B717 than keeping them.

Latest resources

Back