Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran to Sell two more planes; tougher union talks ahead?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I will agree that our FO pay is crappy, and that our Captain's don't need one cent over cost of living adjustment (and maybe not even that) until our FO pay comes alot closer to industry standard (especially for years 2-6).

What the hell have you been smoking?

Take a look at junior Captain pay and think again. Our junior Captains are the lowest paid 737/A320 Captains of any similar-size airline (or larger).

Don't forget, Cletus, that many of us Captains voted down a substantial pay raise- in part, because the TA would have screwed the junior guys.

Then you might just be out of a job.
WHAT? So because we are afraid to raise prices to offset the cost of business we are suppose to now start fearing for our jobs? This pilot group has not asked for much. We've only asked to be compensated and rewarded for our contribution for making AirTran a successful airline. AirTran has seen 7 straight years of profits and bonuses. AirTran pilots are some of the lowest paid in the industry. These executives play by the book at all airlines. During good times a contract is a contract, but during bad times they come to the well of labor to save the company. It just gets old man.

You sound like a scared little ************************* 73 Guy. You think I give a $hit about hanging on to a job that pays so poorly. Sorry, have a little more self respect than that. Been down the furlough road numerous times, and I'll do it again before I cave in on a joke of a TA. This job, which used to be a career, is just not worth it. But it doesn't mean we souldn't fight to improve the industry. How bout you, just happy to have a number, right?

You sound like a scared little ************************* 73 Guy. You think I give a $hit about hanging on to a job that pays so poorly. Sorry, have a little more self respect than that. Been down the furlough road numerous times, and I'll do it again before I cave in on a joke of a TA. This job, which used to be a career, is just not worth it. But it doesn't mean we souldn't fight to improve the industry. How bout you, just happy to have a number, right?

Man are you angry. No wonder you can't keep a job.

Man are you angry. No wonder you can't keep a job.
B737 Guy, he lost his jobs because he was furloughed not because he is angry. I too have been furloughed many times. It is the cost of being an airline pilot. Life goes on. Even during tough times I was able to pick up and move on. I'm thankful to have this job, but I don't live in fear, worked to hard to live that way. It amazes me that in this business we have amendable contracts and the RLA allows us to carryon with open contracts and doesn't have some checks and balances to hold managements accountable. It is a shame there are people that live their lives totally in fear and allow people to bully them into making decisions based off fear. Sweetheart, the millions of dollars this pilot group has saved this airline over the last seven years should not be rewarded with dragging of feet in negotiations. Don't be fooled, AirTran is a successful business because of the hard working, dedicated, do whatever it takes to get the job done employees!

B737 Guy, he lost his jobs because he was furloughed not because he is angry. I too have been furloughed many times. It is the cost of being an airline pilot. Life goes on. Even during tough times I was able to pick up and move on. I'm thankful to have this job, but I don't live in fear, worked to hard to live that way. It amazes me that in this business we have amendable contracts and the RLA allows us to carryon with open contracts and doesn't have some checks and balances to hold managements accountable. It is a shame there are people that live their lives totally in fear and allow people to bully them into making decisions based off fear. Sweetheart, the millions of dollars this pilot group has saved this airline over the last seven years should not be rewarded with dragging of feet in negotiations. Don't be fooled, AirTran is a successful business because of the hard working, dedicated, do whatever it takes to get the job done employees!
Thanks for the well thought out response. I see your point.

I'm well aware of the economics! Our contract has been amendable for several years now. If the airline needs to adjust their delivery schedule or sell airplanes, more power to them. If it helps AirTran's bottom line, I don't have an issue with it. But the pilot contract is another animal. Don't get on this board and be a fool to make us think that we need to start thinking about concessions because of the economy. Whatever happens, negotiations need to be done behind closed doors between the negotiators on both sides, NOT IN THE MEDIA! We have a business and there is a cost to doing business. If you are selling out your flights, that tells me you didn't charge enough for the tickets....bottom line increase your yield! I would rather see 60% load factors and AirTran earning good profits, then 90% load factors and AirTran barely making a profit. Now that it is the job of the executives to figure out the medium to make it work, that is what they are paid for. But not off the backs of labor.

Oh by the way, everywhere in america cost are going up. At the grocery store milk, bread, fruit are going up because of the cost of fuel. The grocery stores are passing that cost off to the consumer. So are the gas stations. Bottom line.....airlines have to do it as well.

I'm not at Air Tran but, well said! Your thinking should apply to the whole industry. Unfortunately, fat chance!:(

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back