AirTran Recall Results

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So what happens now?

Do guys nominate themselves, is there a campaign, when will we get to vote for new leadership?

Who is running the show now?

oh you're right. fuh-q guys instead!

Thanks, I guess you are pretty bored since "the cookie has been saved". I'll be sure to chime in when Midwest has new canidates for your MEC. Maybe you can run or at least vote when you get off probation.

so what do you guys think? will the rest of the BOD start resigning since they were aligned with the AP and MS, and make it a clean sweep, or will they try to hang on?

BTW i voted for the recall..if you dont like your elected officials, vote'em out....democracy in action!!!

So what happens now?

Do guys nominate themselves, is there a campaign, when will we get to vote for new leadership?

Who is running the show now?
Thanks all for the vote of confidence.

I've been removed from the line and called down to Orlando for "concern about my health" since I'm just returning from OJI. My meeting is tomorrow morning, and I will respond more fully after that meeting.

To answer your questions, the bylaws are a little vague. They tell us what the procedures are for one or the other (Pres or VP) recalled, but not for what happens when BOTH are gone.

If you piece it together, it appears that the Sec/Treas becomes the interim NPA president and, since there's more than 6 months in AP's term remaining, it will go to special election with the nomination period opening shortly, then elections.

The candidates have to be nominated and send and sign a "willingness to serve" letter, similar to ALPA bylaws. The bylaws don't say whether they will put ALL candidates who are nominated on the ballot or whether, like ALPA, they will put just the top 2 nominated pilots (like an election inside an election). I'm guessing the latter is likely, but I'll post that information when I get it.

For the V.P. slot, normally because there would be a sitting president and there's less than 6 months remaining in his term (end of the year), there would be no special election. The BoD could "appoint" a V.P. (can't appoint a pres), but then that appointed V.P. has no BoD vote so it is kind of a lame duck position until the election.

Warning: educated guess ahead.

In all likelihood, we will have a nomination period opening next week (Allen had to step down IMMEDIATELY today and vacate office, as did Surrapine), for 15-21 days, taking us to around the end of the month.

Then we have an election, taking 15-21 days which takes us halfway through October. Then we have the V.P. nominations opening in November, so it'll all be pretty close together.

There are 2 more reps up for re-election at the end of the year anyway, so I doubt anyone will resign, although they might not run again. I hope at least one of them (BS) runs again. He's been about as straightforward as they come and is a good voice for the senior CA's.

Don't know MG very well to say one way or the other.

This has been a difficult process; it's never tasteful having to replace your elected leadership, and those leaving have done a lot of things that built the core structure of the NPA and its day-to-day operational ability. It is, however, time to take the next step in growing as an Association.

Please continue to talk to your coworkers about the T.A. Just because we had a successful recall vote in NO way guarantees a successful T.A. rejection vote. It does, however, give us some initiative and I urge all of you to build on that with everyone you talk to.

One step at a time...

Thanks, I guess you are pretty bored since "the cookie has been saved". I'll be sure to chime in when Midwest has new canidates for your MEC. Maybe you can run or at least vote when you get off probation.

are you kidding me, for the last year all we have heard was how to conduct ourselves in the potential merger.

you have fun. don't get mugged on the marta.

Thanks all for the vote of confidence.

I've been removed from the line and called down to Orlando for "concern about my health" since I'm just returning from OJI. My meeting is tomorrow morning, and I will respond more fully after that meeting.

Are they trying to give you the scare tactics for your hard work educating the pilot group or is this just routine? I hope there is someone in the union you can trust to support you.

Regarding the recall of the NPA President and Vice-President today it's important for you to know that the four remaining members of the NPA Board will continue to function as your elected Board of Directors and, consistent with the Constitution and Bylaws, exercise the "governmental powers of the Association."

The Constitution and Bylaws provide that in order to conduct the Association's business, a quorum of the Board is necessary. A "quorum" is defined as "three quarters or more of the ELECTED members of the full Board of Directors." With the recall of both the President and the Vice President, both positions are thereby deemed "vacant" because there are no longer "elected" officials to fill those positions. Since all of the remaining four members of the Board of Directors have been "elected," the Board can and will continue to meet and act if three of those "elected" Board members (3/4 of the total) are present. See Article IV, Section 10(c) of the Constitution and Bylaws.

It is not constitutionally required that the Board fill either vacancy created by the recall prior to a special Presidential election by the membership (scheduled for this fall). Article IV, Section 9 (Vacancies) provides that a special election must be held to fill a vacancy in a position whose term lasts for more than 6 months. Thus, there must be a special election for the President since his remaining term exceeds 6 months. The same section provides that a vacancy will not be filled by a special election if the remaining term is 6 months or less. Thus, there will not be a special election to for the Vice President prior to the expiration of this term in January 2008, at which point a regular election for Vice President will take place.

Again, whatever the Board decides on these interim appointment questions, the Association will still have a governing authority because the Constitution expressly provides that the "governmental powers of the Association shall be vested in the 'NPA Board of Directors.'"

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back