• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In training: Our way is the only way. You don't like it? Hit the road. Think you have a better way of doing? STFU and learn it our way. After you're online you can submit a Line Pilot Report with your suggestions. Don't expect feedback unless we agree with you. (Those aren't my words, just my impressions).

On the line: The CA is responsible for everything. You're not asked for an opinion and, in fact, if the CA isn't there and something needs to get done you have to assert yourself fairly firmly with some gate agents and a few flight attendants for them to listen. No one realizes (or cares) that you're coming from several years of jet command (in most cases) yourself.

Had a CA 3 weeks ago tell me he was going to fly a couple legs while "observing me" until he felt comfortable letting me fly, much less land. About 3 legs into the trip it came up that I had been a CA on the 727, as well as several years in the left seat of a Lear, then the CRJ. This came about not because he asked, but because a jumpseater from my previous carrier asked me how the 717 compared to the 727. He let me start landing after that. :rolleyes:

That is an isolated event, and I'm here to do my thing, get my check, and go home, so wtf ever,,, He's the only one who's ever been THAT anal, but they're out there. It's a company thing I don't see changing much until the age 50+ guys are gone and the majority of the CA's are guys who flew the regionals and have had other airline's CRM courses.

Yes. Some people stayed in roach hotel crashpads for $150 a month. I paid $250 a month for a single-occupancy room at a mechanic's house halfway down to Newnan. 25 minute drive to class, in rush hour traffic, but SO worth it for peace and quiet and no one else in your room.

No, not really. Haven't noticed any changes at all. But my outlook is a little different. As long as I don't get killed, hurt, violated, or end up in Floy or Tom's office, I really don't care WHAT the CA does. I do my thing, speak up if I feel the need or I'm asked, try to take care of the F/A's for food and be proactive about problems, and otherwise let the CA do his/her thing.

Been working fine for over a year now. MOST of the CA's are pretty cool in general anyway, but the few tools here have been doing this so long they're not a problem to just sit back and watch and fly when it's your turn.

I came from a regional. I really like it here comparably. Pay needs to come up. Quality of life is excellent (as long as they don't change any of the work rules or only improve them).

I'm on the 717 and only have one 4-leg day in each 4-day or 3-day trip, the rest are 1-leg, 2-leg, and some 3-leg days, overnights rarely below 12 hours, average 14-16, some 19-26 hour layovers. Half are commutable, I trade out of the ones that aren't. Have to work some weekends, but that's life and I'm 3/4 of the way down the F/O list, so there ya go. Average 15 days off.

If SWA or FedEx is pounding on your door, I'd say go. CAL / DAL... depends on whether you want to fly heavy metal international. If so, go that route. If not, this place is just as good.

Expect upgrade to take about twice as long as they're preaching in ground school, barring some unexpected acquisition/staple job, which no one really wants anyway, or a bunch of aircraft deliveries above what we are currently slated for.

1st year pay - $45,000. 2nd year pay - $57,500. 3rd year pay - $65,000. Based on crediting 85 hours a month with 15 days off.

Good luck!

awesome, thank you so much

Must be the way they did it at Eastern.:beer:

Yeah, the big push forward on the yoke during the takeoff roll gives it away every time. . . If you get a younger CA who does that, you know they got in his head-space.

I started asking 'em why they did it. Most of 'em didn't know why, 'til one guy said, "Well, that's what we used to have to do on the Electra".

Hmmm . . . that's about all I'm gonna say about that one. :smash:

Ty,

I was taught to push forward during the takeoff roll at my previous airline flying Dc-9s. They were teaching us that gave more positive control on the nose wheel for steering during the takeoff roll. Don't know if that's true, but now it's such an ingrained habit, it would be hard to break.

Directional control...blown tire ..engine failure...xwind...whatever... oh...and it is technique gentleman.!!..

With that said...I like the 1900 guys that do the aileron into the wind thing...with the spoiler sticking straight up....Oh well...some things never change...

AirTran is cool....for the most part a good bunch of pilots...just regular guys... Training is fine....nothing fancy...
Now...Can we get this Midex thang over with...and where is our TA ?? Fly Safe !!

Had a CA 3 weeks ago tell me he was going to fly a couple legs while "observing me" until he felt comfortable letting me fly, much less land. About 3 legs into the trip it came up that I had been a CA on the 727, as well as several years in the left seat of a Lear, then the CRJ. This came about not because he asked, but because a jumpseater from my previous carrier asked me how the 717 compared to the 727. He let me start landing after that. :rolleyes:

I believe I would've let that f stick fly "my" legs too......try to learn from the master. :rolleyes: What a prick.

What do you prefer instead of aileron into the wind??? Allowing the upwind wing/side of airplane to rise due to the crosswind component? That surely doesn't produce any drag, eh?

For what it is worth, I was also taught not to raise the spoiler in a jet during TO. After many hours of flying them I have migrated back to using basic X-Wind TO technique and feel that it increases controllability and smoothness quite substantially. Keep in mind that as speed increases you are able to decrease your control inputs and by the time that you reach a speed where the drag of a spoiler would be a factor it is already down anyway.

I use this technique all the time and have never had a Captain who has any flying ability themselves have anything to say about it. There are also several of the more competent individuals in the training department who agree with my point of view as well.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back