• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Overnights are fine on the 717 as well. Just spent 19 hours in DAB and 16 in PNS over the weekend. The scenery was horrible ;) Schedule this month 18 off 80 hours. (working weekends) I spent 3 months on reserve.This is my first hard line.
Sorry where is DAB and PNS?

To Airtran pilots:
If you dont mind sounding off on the topic.
How do you like it there?
Is it better than where you came from and where did you come from?
How is training and where does it take place?
How long is training?
Where do you stay during training?
How do you feel you are treated working there?
I know everyone has a busy life but any feedback would be awesome.

If you are coming from a regional, AirTran is better. If you are coming from another major, then AirTran has some issues - but if you are coming from another major then you were furloughed so...

It's a "Captain's airline" so don't expect to be treated great as an F/O. You don't get treated bad, but let's just say that you rarely get asked for your opinion.

The "old Eastern mentality" is slowly fading away, but it is part of the foundation of this company, so it is rather "old school" here.

Training is good, again a little bit "old school". It is in ATL and usually is 6 weeks, if I remember right.

We are a growing airline that is making money, which says alot in this industry. It's a whole lot better than most of the companies out there, but there is definitely room for improvement.

If you are coming from a regional, AirTran is better. If you are coming from another major, then AirTran has some issues - but if you are coming from another major then you were furloughed so...

It's a "Captain's airline" so don't expect to be treated great as an F/O. You don't get treated bad, but let's just say that you rarely get asked for your opinion.

The "old Eastern mentality" is slowly fading away, but it is part of the foundation of this company, so it is rather "old school" here.

Training is good, again a little bit "old school". It is in ATL and usually is 6 weeks, if I remember right.

We are a growing airline that is making money, which says alot in this industry. It's a whole lot better than most of the companies out there, but there is definitely room for improvement.

can you define "old school"?
do you have you make your own accomodations for training?
so as an FO you just show up and do your duties. As new Captains upgrade that is starting to change a bit?
I can see how the company needs to improve. Most smaller companies do. All in all are you happy there? I wouldnt be coming from another major.

can you define "old school"?
In training: Our way is the only way. You don't like it? Hit the road. Think you have a better way of doing? STFU and learn it our way. After you're online you can submit a Line Pilot Report with your suggestions. Don't expect feedback unless we agree with you. (Those aren't my words, just my impressions).

On the line: The CA is responsible for everything. You're not asked for an opinion and, in fact, if the CA isn't there and something needs to get done you have to assert yourself fairly firmly with some gate agents and a few flight attendants for them to listen. No one realizes (or cares) that you're coming from several years of jet command (in most cases) yourself.

Had a CA 3 weeks ago tell me he was going to fly a couple legs while "observing me" until he felt comfortable letting me fly, much less land. About 3 legs into the trip it came up that I had been a CA on the 727, as well as several years in the left seat of a Lear, then the CRJ. This came about not because he asked, but because a jumpseater from my previous carrier asked me how the 717 compared to the 727. He let me start landing after that. :rolleyes:

That is an isolated event, and I'm here to do my thing, get my check, and go home, so wtf ever,,, He's the only one who's ever been THAT anal, but they're out there. It's a company thing I don't see changing much until the age 50+ guys are gone and the majority of the CA's are guys who flew the regionals and have had other airline's CRM courses.

do you have you make your own accomodations for training?
Yes. Some people stayed in roach hotel crashpads for $150 a month. I paid $250 a month for a single-occupancy room at a mechanic's house halfway down to Newnan. 25 minute drive to class, in rush hour traffic, but SO worth it for peace and quiet and no one else in your room.

so as an FO you just show up and do your duties. As new Captains upgrade that is starting to change a bit?
No, not really. Haven't noticed any changes at all. But my outlook is a little different. As long as I don't get killed, hurt, violated, or end up in Floy or Tom's office, I really don't care WHAT the CA does. I do my thing, speak up if I feel the need or I'm asked, try to take care of the F/A's for food and be proactive about problems, and otherwise let the CA do his/her thing.

Been working fine for over a year now. MOST of the CA's are pretty cool in general anyway, but the few tools here have been doing this so long they're not a problem to just sit back and watch and fly when it's your turn.

I can see how the company needs to improve. Most smaller companies do. All in all are you happy there? I wouldnt be coming from another major.
I came from a regional. I really like it here comparably. Pay needs to come up. Quality of life is excellent (as long as they don't change any of the work rules or only improve them).

I'm on the 717 and only have one 4-leg day in each 4-day or 3-day trip, the rest are 1-leg, 2-leg, and some 3-leg days, overnights rarely below 12 hours, average 14-16, some 19-26 hour layovers. Half are commutable, I trade out of the ones that aren't. Have to work some weekends, but that's life and I'm 3/4 of the way down the F/O list, so there ya go. Average 15 days off.

If SWA or FedEx is pounding on your door, I'd say go. CAL / DAL... depends on whether you want to fly heavy metal international. If so, go that route. If not, this place is just as good.

Expect upgrade to take about twice as long as they're preaching in ground school, barring some unexpected acquisition/staple job, which no one really wants anyway, or a bunch of aircraft deliveries above what we are currently slated for.

1st year pay - $45,000. 2nd year pay - $57,500. 3rd year pay - $65,000. Based on crediting 85 hours a month with 15 days off.

Good luck!

good info. Thanks for taking the time to make that post. Any word on the hard-and-fastness of the 500 PIC?

Posted by Lear70

"On the line: The CA is responsible for everything. You're not asked for an opinion and, in fact, if the CA isn't there and something needs to get done you have to assert yourself fairly firmly with some gate agents and a few flight attendants for them to listen. No one realizes (or cares) that you're coming from several years of jet command (in most cases) yourself."

We diverted once for fuel, kept the pax on board, I am in the jetway the gate agent comes up asks me how many we have on board and as I am answering he says, "wait you aren't the captain, were is the captain?" I guess FO's aren't aware of how many pax are on board, must have to go to school for that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back