• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is any one aircraft a favorite to get? I know there are more lines on the 717, didn't know if the quality of life was better on it.

Is any one aircraft a favorite to get? I know there are more lines on the 717, didn't know if the quality of life was better on it.

Right now the general consensus is the 737 is the way to go. I spent one month on reserve then started getting 90% commutable (maybe one or two hotel rooms a month) 13-15 day off lines. The guys on the 717 spent more time than that on reserve (though the times are falling) and seem to have far more arduous work days. I nearly plotzed when I had a day with four legs, yet that seems to be the norm for the 717 guys.

Basically, in the 717 you're waiting for senior FO's to upgrade to move up. In the 737 you move up based on aircraft deliveries. The company has halted upgrades temporarily, so that has made the short term movement in the 717 glacial. Besides, most of the good overnoghts are in the 737 (LAS, LAX, SAN, SEA, etc).

Right now the general consensus is the 737 is the way to go. I spent one month on reserve then started getting 90% commutable (maybe one or two hotel rooms a month) 13-15 day off lines. The guys on the 717 spent more time than that on reserve (though the times are falling) and seem to have far more arduous work days. I nearly plotzed when I had a day with four legs, yet that seems to be the norm for the 717 guys.

Basically, in the 717 you're waiting for senior FO's to upgrade to move up. In the 737 you move up based on aircraft deliveries. The company has halted upgrades temporarily, so that has made the short term movement in the 717 glacial. Besides, most of the good overnoghts are in the 737 (LAS, LAX, SAN, SEA, etc).

Interesting. Sounds like the 737 is the way to go. How's the training program on the 737, or the 717 for that matter? Is seniority based on age in your class?

they both pay the same... a lot of people pick the 737 i guess because it is bigger - even though it's a step backward in technology from the 717. Theh 717 does more legs albeit shorter legs usually, but the 737 does all the red-eye flights. It had been the case that the 717 was better schedule wise -- usually 15 days off and about 90+ of credit, but i'm not sure if that still holds true.

The 737 training is supposed to be more of a "gentleman's" program while the 717 is a little more old school.

Good luck

Overnights are fine on the 717 as well. Just spent 19 hours in DAB and 16 in PNS over the weekend. The scenery was horrible ;) Schedule this month 18 off 80 hours. (working weekends) I spent 3 months on reserve.This is my first hard line.

Had a jumpseater once tell me that 3 internal recs made for an interview.

Do any of you know if there's any truth to this? Also, what's the skinny on the 500 121 PIC? Flexible?

Had a jumpseater once tell me that 3 internal recs made for an interview.

Do any of you know if there's any truth to this? Also, what's the skinny on the 500 121 PIC? Flexible?

I just got my friend hired; two internal recs, 7000 TT, 1500 121 PIC (jet), check airman.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back