Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PCL_128

AirTran swings to third-quarter profit

AirTran this morning reported a third-quarter profit of $10.6 million (11 cents per share) "on increased revenue as it flew fuller planes," Reuters writes. AirTran's earnings included a $6.6 million charge for items related to its failed takeover bid for Milwaukee-based Midwest Airlines. Without that item, AirTran would have earned 18 cents a share –- roughly in line with the 17 cents per share analysts had forecast to Reuters Estimates. The airline lost $4.6 million (5 cents per share) during the same quarter a year ago. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (free registration) says AirTran officials cited "continued growth and strong passenger demand" as factors that "helped offset high fuel costs and other challenges" during this year's third quarter.

"We confronted high fuel costs, adverse weather and air traffic control delays in some of our major East Coast markets — but our operational performance and service levels stayed well ahead of the competition," AirTran CEO Joe Leonard says in a press release. "We remain on track to make 2007 our ninth consecutive year of successful growth." The Journal-Constitution says AirTran "increased capacity almost 21% compared to the year-earlier quarter while filling more than 80% of its seats with paying passengers, a record for the carrier."

Among the third-quarter highlights AirTran cited in its earnings release, the carrier noted it "launched nonstop service from Las Vegas to Akron/Canton and Dayton Ohio, Bloomington-Normal and Moline, Ill., Flint, Mich., and Rochester N.Y." AirTran also said it "took delivery of its 50th new, fuel-efficient Boeing 737-700; enabled customers to check in and review flight status using their handheld, mobile devices;" and "expanded flights to Florida more than 25% in the third quarter year over year."

A profit is always a good thing, but I kinda thoughtwe post a bit over 20 million. So with the Midwest merger charge somewhere closer to 20. Still a large improvement from last year.

All you have to do is look at the Airtran website under investor relations to see what the predicted profits/loses are going to be. The were predicting a profit of 16 million, and they beat it by 1 million. Every airtran pilot should pay attention to that part of the website. Especially in conctract negotiations. 2008 is looking pretty good. But that was before these rediculous fuel prices..

Good Job! And during negotiations no less...

"Good Job! And during negotiations no less..."

Sorry bud, I'm new here and usually check out yahoo/google finance everyday. Just wasn't aware of exact quarterly estimates. Some pilots on this website must just look for places to chime in their vast amounts of knowledge. Bravo!

"Good Job! And during negotiations no less..."

Sorry bud, I'm new here and usually check out yahoo/google finance everyday. Just wasn't aware of exact quarterly estimates. Some pilots on this website must just look for places to chime in their vast amounts of knowledge. Bravo!

I don't think he was knocking you. I think he was saying how companies don't like to post a profit while in negotiations with a large group.

Exactly.

Funnyman - Easy Francis. Nobody was talking to you.

Latest resources

Back