• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Pilots and Union Board Support Changing FAA Age 60 Rule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We have roughly 50 pilots turning 60 over the next five years out of 1500. So this affects about 3% of our retirements. I think thats small potatoes. Of course if your one of 50 first officers who misses a chance to upgrade earlier I understand, but otherwise we are a young pilot group.

We have roughly 50 pilots turning 60 over the next five years out of 1500. So this affects about 3% of our retirements. I think thats small potatoes. Of course if your one of 50 first officers who misses a chance to upgrade earlier I understand, but otherwise we are a young pilot group.

You're missing the point. This "young pilot group" is using all of our dues to support something that helps a fewat the top while hurting the rest of the group. It's not that NPA is going to have any weight on whether it happens or not, it's using our dues to fund something that is not supported by the majority, which is what the union is supposed to be for in the first place.

EVERYTHING will be 60/40 votes in favor of something you don't want from now until eternity.

Didn't you get that memo?

Yeah, I got that memo. The point is the BoD didn't poll the entire group. If they're going to come out (to the national media no less) and say that 63% of the 1400 pilots want to change the retirement age, at least make sure you got the opinion of 1400 pilots.

My answer would have been "no" had they asked.

I say if they are going to raise the age, make them be FO's. Then they won't step on anyone's upgrade, and if they die in flight, who cares? The weight and balance is done, the ATIS and Clearance are done, and I'll be happy to grab the post-flight walk-around . . . . after I scratch them off the seniority list, of course. ;)

[
I say if they are going to raise the age, make them be FO's. Then they won't step on anyone's upgrade, and if they die in flight, who cares?

Yep, if the <60 pilot HAS to be there in order for the >60 pilot to be there, shouldn't the one that is required be the one making Captain's pay? That way there is at least a little incentive to retire and those that really need to stay, can.

2 1/2 years at AirTran and I have yet to be surveyed. I am beginning to think that they survey only those that have the answers they want to hear.

Duh, now you know how ALPO does its poling also--however if at AIRTRAN you only have 50 pilots hitting 60 in the next five years then you should realize that the way 99% of the upgrades at AIRTRAN will be is because of expansion--not attrition--and that is how the vast majority of upgrades have been--with the exception being the fossilized "legacy" carriers who had unsustainable contracts that took the hits after 9-11--it wasn't the LCC's that had to shrink after 9-11--food for thought.

Airfogey

2 1/2 years at AirTran and I have yet to be surveyed. I am beginning to think that they survey only those that have the answers they want to hear.

Just over that and have not either. They did call one time when I was out, wife told them when I'd be around -- never got a return call. I would've voted no!

If this is NOT about safety, then WHY does the other pilot have to be under 60? This shows they ARE concerned about the possibility of health failures, which is a SAFETY risk. Otherwise, let both be over 60! Very logical... NOT

P.S. I like Philpot’s age reference to experience. The botched landing in RDU was by a 55-year old; Southwest’s rwy overrun was by a 58-year old, to name a couple… I guess it must be ALL THAT experience, Philpot. Accidents/incident can happen to anybody. While age = experience, experience does NOT equate to safety.

P.P.S. One more observation: “Provisions need to be put in place to keep those … beyond 60 on the job.” Is he saying he wants those who have retired (but are under 65) OR who will retire between now & the ruling to return via some “provision?”

Latest resources

Back