• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Pilot Reinstated

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
so any specific details on the osha claim? I'm having trouble seeing how osha has any claim to anything in a jet, flightline yes, aircraft no.

The whistleblower law that pilots can use falls under OSHA. Seems silly, I know, but that's how it's done.

Lear70, whta's the scoop now that this is public-record?
PCL covered it pretty well.

The company fully expected to LOSE his arbitration, and they expected to WIN mine, so imagine their surprise when it went the other way around, and now he has his job back anyway.

The arbitrator was an idiot; he used the American Airlines arbitrator ruling as a "precedent"... hundreds of pilots in a known, broadcast illegal slowdown versus one guy who wrote up airplanes and didn't carry open writeups around like many do to "just get the airplane home". Yeah, that's the same thing, right? :rolleyes:

FWIW, this guy is a retired USAF Lt Col (maybe full bird but I don't think so), so he had his full pension and was working part-time as a tax consultant for H&R Block I believe, as well as flying here and there to stay current, so he survived OK while he was out, but yeah, a little over $1 Million for almost 5 years out of work isn't exactly a "windfall" for a senior line Captain, but it's better than nothing, and the important thing is that he was ALSO ordered REINSTATED to his position by the OSHA ruling.

The previous SWAPA administration along with Chase from this board took a look at trying to get SWA management to intervene and give the guy his job back when we all started this journey in late 2010 (Chase, Don and I had more than a few phone conversations about it), but it never went anywhere, don't know where it stopped at over there. Might have cost the company a lot less money if it had...

At this point, I think that covers all the contract hostages. All of them have been reinstated in one way or another, thank God.

Well, I certainly expect that to be an awful history and nothing you guys have to deal with again

Wow...ordered to pay a million dollars in back pay and compensatory damages. He hit the lottery twice.

That hardly covers the damage to reputation, the family life, lost peace of mind and health issues that he presumably faced during the ordeal.

Lear and PCL,

I heard from a well placed source that AirTran Management will be required by OSHA to inform all employees of this award. Is this SOP in this type of case?

Yes, DonV.

I'm not sure how they'll distribute the information though. It may just be on an obscured bulletin board in ops. I don't think they're required to mail notices to everyone's homes or put it on Crew Trac or FliCA as a required read, but don't quote me on that.

Right now we're just trying to figure out how to place him on the list for AAI and SWA and how he's going to fit back into the pipeline. His slot was never accounted for since he lost his arbitration, and to properly put him back in the system according to the rules "as if he was never gone", he'll be allowed to bid whatever his seniority can hold, come back on the AAI side as a CA on whatever he wants to bid, then transition to whatever he wants to hold (he's senior enough to hold whatever slot he wanted of the 3 choices).

Still some work to be done until he's back online.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back