• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Pays Big in Hotels

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Every airline has huge hotel bills. Simply put even at nominal rates and two fill crews overnighting a year we are looking at 200K plus a city.

I never understood why with all these post-deregulation "fortress hubs" set up, the airlines never went to a scheduling system based on more one day trips. All we do is fly out n' back from the hub most of the time anyway, why not build most of the trips that way and use overnights to cover only the late arrival/early departure flights at the out-stations?

I never understood why with all these post-deregulation "fortress hubs" set up, the airlines never went to a scheduling system based on more one day trips. All we do is fly out n' back from the hub most of the time anyway, why not build most of the trips that way and use overnights to cover only the late arrival/early departure flights at the out-stations?

You may see a lot more of that with the new regs. They do a ton of 10.5 hr turns with the FA's. NWA made the HNL turn out of LA or SFO a turn for their FA's. We have more restrictive rules that make it darn near impossible to schedule efficiently with all day trips. Plus it sets you up for major headaches with an IROP

You may see a lot more of that with the new regs. They do a ton of 10.5 hr turns with the FA's. NWA made the HNL turn out of LA or SFO a turn for their FA's. We have more restrictive rules that make it darn near impossible to schedule efficiently with all day trips. Plus it sets you up for major headaches with an IROP

For trans-con and similar type flying I agree, just overnight the crews. It was the short to medium haul turns that I was thinking about, anything from one to three turns for 6-7 hrs block. Three turns would be a lot of work, granted, and not ideal.

Latest resources

Back