Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How do you like the 717?

Hey Citrus,

Just wondering, and a little off topic, but how do you like the 717 compared to what you used to fly? I see you flew an Avro (Mesaba) - I found the Avro a great aircraft from a PAX standpoint and pretty advanced from a pilot standpoint (it looked impressive with nice EFIS). How does the 717 compare beyond the speed factor? Any plusses or minuses for the aircraft?

I've got my app in and would love to fly one myself....

Cheers

Heavy,

The 717 is a great airplane. From what I understand the 717 flightdeck is pretty much set up the exact same as the MD-11 (six CRT tubes and dual FMS), and with the venerable DC-9/MD80 airframe it is a great ride. The FMS on the 717 is a much more integrated system than it was in the Avro. The main difference being VNAV. The Avro did not have that. Both airplanes are CAT III autoland. Overall thought the 717 is a much better airplane because of the newer technology, new engines, and efficiency compared to the Avro. At FL350 the Avro would burn just over 4200 lbs/hr. At the same altitude the 717 will burn the same, and the 717 is obviously heavier (120,000 lbs MTOW vs. 93,000 lbs MTOW) and can hold 48 more passengers. Plus it would take the avro all day to get up that high while the 717 can climb at a pretty good rate all the way up. You gotta love those trailing link gear on the avro though, much easier to land than the 717. Pretty much guaranteed a soft landing everytime unless you were really asleep at the wheel.

Citrus Jockey

Hi!

TWA 717s had autothrottles and they were using the autopilot in a vertical descent planning mode. The avionics were AWESOME!

Cliff
GRB

I am suprised that the pay rates at AirTran were as good as a they are considering that a large number of pilots there are Eastern SCABS that PFT'D at Value Jet because no one would touch them. Good for them.

In these tough economic timesI just hope that all of you AirTran hopefulls remember who you might be sitting next to.

I am not trying to throw flames here, but I just do not want to see the industry go the drain and have Value Jet be a good job.

What do you care? If it's such a big deal to you, don't apply. BTW, I only advised to ignore YOU. That advice still stands.

What do you care? If it's such a big deal to you, don't apply. BTW, I only advised to ignore YOU. That advice still stands

It is not that I care, it is just the truth.

It is a said state when we as professionals are speaking the praises of an airline that got its start by hiring scumbag SCABS who could not get job anywhere else. They were such scumbags that they had to buy there job.

For all of you professionals who are on furlough and need the employment I mean no disrespect to you. You need the work in aviation and have to do what you have to. I wish you the best, just remember that the guy in the left seat might be a filthy SCAB and please treat him/her with the respect that she deserves.

IGNORE THE FLAMER.

But, thanks for providing us all with this shocking, new information.:eek:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back