AirTran Pay Cuts?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ty Webb said:
Welcome to my Ignore list. YOu can have fun in there with the one or two others who I have bothered to add in years past. You guys have fun in there, and no piloow-biting, y'hear?

Is this suppose to hurt my feelings?? Really haven't enoyed you either. See ya!!

Please someone enlighten me. Why is it a bad thing to refer Air Tran as Critter?

Last edited:
Dave Siegel said:
Does everyone get their own call sign at Air Tran? Wow, that's cool.

Yes we each get issued a callsign during indoc.

My callsign is "Fred Garvin". This one day (at band camp) while I was on downwind in ATL....... some other airline crew got on the radio and would say "male prostitute" after each of my transmissions.

ATC: "Fred Garvin .. descend maintain 7000".

Me: "Down to 7000 .. Fred Garvin".

Unknown Voice: "Male prostitute".

I still don't understand what that means.

TAZ MAN said:
Is this suppose to hurt my feelings?? Really haven't enoyed you either. See ya!!

Please someone enlighten me. Why is it a bad thing to refer Air Tran as Critter?

I'm with you. I can't understand why this is that huge of an issue.

And don't worry Taz. Ty is alot more unpopular than he thinks. And I think his story about CP's and firings is a load also. I notice he does this from time to time.

TAZ MAN said:
Yes it does. Am I the only one?

"Manatee" was the call sign of the original Air Tran. You know, the one that merged with the old Valujet, call sign "Critter". So, while there are a number of "critters", there are also a number of "manatees". But, there are an even greater number of "citrus" guys that were neither. So, what's the big deal? I don't get why anyone is making an issue of this. Just another worthless, stupid and pointless debate on a worthless, stupid and pointless internet message board.

(Although I DO have to give FL717 credit for his "Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute" bit. Now THAT'S funny.)

Why is it derrogatory or offensive to call you Critter? Is that not your old call sign before you bought Air Tran and changed the name?

To tell you the truth it really is not an insult. The problem we have with it is it is not done as hell what a great airline to work for, or did they make a hell of allot of money and put a little hurting on the competition. yes, a airline with pretty $hitty maintenance must not forget that.

They (who knows who? Big D?) are saying it as a little slap and yes it does Pi$$ off a few of the pilots here. I rode in the cockpit of a 757 into ATL about 5 years ago as a new hire with FL and as we taxiied in the D cpt. said "hey there goes kill em all airlines" with a FL a/c in front of us. at first I did not really believe what I heard then he said "oh just kidding" B.S.

I did not come back with all the D crashes or ever other airlines accidents. I am bigger, hell no I just did not want to get into it.

So being called critter is not a round of applause when flying into ATL. Hope this may shed a little light on your question.

I just wanted to address the original question again. The way I understand it, as other AirTran folks have said here, management wants to achieve 12% in cost savings. They are not demanding that pay rates be reduced by 12%. The request for 12% in cost savings also has to be viewed through the lens of the fact that we are in contract negotiations right now. It is natural for management to ask for something like this and I'm kind of surprised that they didn't start out asking for more. For example, Alaska Airlines management started out asking their pilots for something like a 38% reduction in pay. They are in arbitration right now. The latest I heard from my Alaska friends is that the pilots will end up taking an 11% cut.

To address Dave S's point of SWA buying out or merging with AirTran. I have no idea what our guys would think of this. However, my SWA friends tell me that management at SWA does see AirTran as it's biggest threat. My concerns would center around how many jobs would be retained on our end and how seniority issues would be handled. Personally, though, I don't see SWA buying us out.

An airplane is an airplane. So what? Delta is like an old lady that was once a beautiful woman. She looks in the mirror and does not see that she has grown old and worn out. AirTran is the 17 year old with the great body and ugly face. She thinks she is a looker when in reality, she is laughed at. Just my two cents worth. Oh well, I bid you all a GOOD DAY.

Latest resources

Back