Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wrong Audience

lostplnetairman said:
I fly a lot for business and would never choose to fly them again.

I didn't register my complaint because it is obvious that they don't care. So you can add that and, in all probability, a lot more to the list!

HR Diva

I have been flying Domestic Passengers Airlines since I was a child (my father was at TWA), as well as an adult as an actual travelling employee (much of it commuting).

Your story could happen to anyone, at any airline, at any airport.... any and every day..... period.

While I am sorry that this happened to you, believe me if I or many other of the "good" AirTran employees were there and could have helped, maybe your story would be different.

That is life flying, and there are thousands of other people just like yourself that have the exact same story.... only they can substitute ANYand EVERY other airline name in the U.S. in place of AirTran. AirTran really is not that different than the majority of Airlines. You have good employees, and bad employees. Some days are smooth, others a mess. Some problems are handled "correctly" some not. ("Correct" being in the eyes of the beholder).

The problem I have is your last sentence. You didn't register a complaint to the people who had the ability to possibly make amends to your perception of events.... yet you have no hesitation coming here and registering your complaint to people who truely do not care, and cannot possible do anything about it if they did.

I hope you feel better.

Oh... the wonders of hiding while complaining on the internet...

ATL tries to do too much with too few resources. One agent deplaning a full flight and then having to board it back up to max. capacity again...in a ridiculous 35 minute turn time? TFBS! Can't be done and be done right.

They can't even update the 1970's concourse monitors correctly.

Then there is the gate themselves. The gate agents are so incompetent that the board will show a 5pm departure, it will be 4:50pm with the plane just pulling into the gate and they still tell passengers it's going out on time. How about putting the "Delayed" sign up there and then updating the estimated departure time every 15 mintues or so plus making frequent PA announcements to keep everyone informed. BWI is the same way.

And what's with those antiquated manual flight ID signs? That may be how they did it on Concourse C back in the days of Eastern, but that was a long time ago. If AirTran can pay management $8 million in bonuses, they sure as you know what can afford DIGITAL READOUT signs that can be updated from a central location. And while we're on this subject, maybe the Operations guru for the entire airline should take a walk over to Concourse A and B and see how Delta does it. Electronic everything including LCD displays that show the entire cleared list, the upgrade list, and the Standby list. This is the best system I've ever seen for keeping passengers (customers) updated and informed.

This company needs to spend less time and money padding management's pockets and more time in building solid infrastructure with cutting edge technology. The aircraft are state of the art, so why can't the rest of the operation be the same way also?

A little over a year ago when I was still a Captain on the 717, I showed up in a city that will remain unnamed (I'll give you a hint... the first name sounded like "ort", and the second name sounded like "auderdale"), and went to the gate that had our Flight Number and Destination posted.

The seating area looked like a medivac triage unit. The line at the Gate counter had to total 30-40 people.... not counting the people seated waiting for the line to thin out.

The gate agent...ignoring the long line of passengers infront of him (while talking on his cell phone), tells me that we are going out of the next gate, and our plane was running 45 minutes late..

My reply is "Then....why don't we update this "ELECTRONIC" departure sign behind the gate?" He obviously was not talking to his Phone-a-friend because his response to me was not the correct answer.

I decided to poll the audience.... within 60 seconds I had the on duty station supervisor on my phone (he was downstairs doing paperwork...oh yeah). He immediately blamed Airport Operations. I gave him 2 minutes to get this debacle professionally fixed however it took to be rectified.... or he would not like who I was going to call next on MY Phone-a-Friend list. I stood there and made an announcement that our flight was going out of the next gate, and I stated approximately what time. I stood in the line and answered questions briefly..... and almost EVERY person in that line was satisfied and left the line. They just wanted information. Within minutes this sign and the gate sign next door was miraculously showing accurate information.

BTW - At no time on my list of ways to solve this was the urge or need to log into Flightinfo. Go figure.

The point being.... there are people (myself included) that will put our hats on and do the "right" thing...... BUT.....BUT...... there is NOT a single company in the world that has 100% totally efficient in regards to equipment, operations and/or staff.

We have to work with what we have.... and complaining on the internet solves nothing. And if you just want to vent.... thats one thing..... but before you log onto the world wide web.... why don't you actually tale steps to address and solve the problem rather than just b!tch to whoever will listen.

To single out one airline...... then lets face reality here.... it happens everywhere, to every airline..... perod. I've got stories about bad experiences on every single domestic carrier in business. I also have good ones. So what.

Last edited:
FL717 said:
The problem I have is your last sentence. You didn't register a complaint to the people who had the ability to possibly make amends to your perception of events.... yet you have no hesitation coming here and registering your complaint to people who truely do not care, and cannot possible do anything about it if they did.

I hope you feel better.

Oh... the wonders of hiding while complaining on the internet...

I apologize for the confusion. What I meant was that I didn't complain to the DOT. I did compain to AirTran and received NO reply. As a result, I choose to spend my dollars elsewhere. Believe it or not, in all my years of flying, I have had only one other totally miserable experience (and I don't fly that airline either). All other times, staff are professional, helpful and make the experience as good as it can be. I thank them for that everytime.

HR Diva

HoursHore said:
My guess would be it has to do with the constant ATL 1.5 hr delay for ATC that happen EVERYDAY. Having Jumped on Air Tran, I've had nothing but a pleasant experience, but then I don't get annoyed when the csa comes on the PA to say our Wheels up is sometime in the far future.

Since Delta is spread across 3 hubs they are not as affected by it.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but.....

Could a second airport in Atlanta help things? Or is the lobby from the food stands serving all these stranded passengers too strong. I'm sure the parking garage is rolling in the dough too.

-9Capt said:
I'd post the topless version but....

I've already been banned a few times and I'd rather not join our pal Ty in the penalty box.

And we still want to know who she is!!

Out of curiosity, was ATA ranked in that, we seemed to always do pretty well, but with the new team, everything is up in the air.

Well... Our crews arent all that bad... Most work dang hard I'm proud to say !

2 weeks back we flew from EWR - ATL... (and by the way we were 30 min late due to rain showers) and as we are boarding I hear 'I tallked to my kid and he said it isnt raining in ATL'....... Anyway, We load everyone up and the last fella comes on, and to his dismay his seat is gone... every seat full... So he's got a confirmed seat no. on our flight.. The agent tells him to leave or he will call security ... the door gets shut and we think... Like Pooh bear.... think think think... That doesnt seem right.. does it ??

I look at my flying buddy and say What the...... over ! We motioned the agent back, opened the door... I made him make an announcement to the the loaded plane and request volunteers.... Low and behold some of the Standbys... took the bait... Ahhhh one open seat for the now PO'd customer with the 380 dollar ticket... Now that wasnt too hard was it ?

Of course we apologized and our crew did our best to make it up... but the damage was kinda already done... We should always make it easier for people to fly.. They are anxious and worried about connections.. Bla bla bla....

However , it is almost impossible to deplane and enplane in 35 minutes with a full boat. Everybody knows it. But we still try..
I dont know about the Lowercur's no's... But every crew I have worked with has done a good job helping pax out.

Its not about the fancy signs...Gate Monitors...equipment....

Its about people and how they are treated... There is a reason Starbucks can sell coffee for 2 bucks a cup !!!

Hey Management... ATL port Authority.. When are you gonna replace the carpet on C concourse ??

The brown in front of the garbage elevator doesnt cut it man !!

ForgedBlade said:
And we still want to know who she is!!.

I don't know who she is, but she was removed by a moderator. I'm currently looking for another avatar.

Latest resources

Back