Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captzaahlie

My kind of FOD!
Anyone have any earth shattering thoughts on the choice? Thanks in advance.....

There are a ton of furloughed US airways guys that did not go back from Airtran. Some I know that have said there is no way they would return to that disaster. Especially after the arbitrators ruling and all the cuts in QOL the pilot group has taken.

I use CASM as a guide because it is a good measure, albeit not an absolute measure, of a companies competitiveness. AirTran is 9.58 and USairways is in the 14.00 range. In a perfect world the cheaper priced product will win out. Of course there are other factors for you to consider.

Anyone have any earth shattering thoughts on the choice? Thanks in advance.....

We're having a job fair in MKE in the near future, all you have to do is show up (check out the LCC threads). They say they'll talk to anybody. Gives you a warm fuzzy about whom we might be hiring.

We also have people leaving FL (after 6 months or so) to be a new hire at US Airways. Two of them are from CLT and want to move home, the others must be assuming the grass is greener.

IMO, there is no choice. (Even if you don't get to fly the 717 initially... ;) )

USAir is a disaster by virtue of the integration. TC

Citrus!

Citrus is a much safer bet in my humble opinion. The USAirways' work environment will be very poisonous for years to come due to the arranged marriage between USAir and AWA. Airtran has very new equipment and a topnotch pilot group. Also, they have their own union - NPA - which is a big plus in my book as I'm not an ALPA fan.

I have to disclose that I’m biased in favor of Airtran as I used to work there and had a great time flying the 717. I always dreamed of international flying though; I was also hoping for a more stable (a.k.a. less 'passenger dependant' :laugh: ) work environment which is why I left for UPS. I did have a great time at AT though and while there decided that purple or big brown were the only airlines I’d leave for.
I lucked out and got a call from UPS but I’m sure I’d have had a pretty nice career at AT too had I stayed there.

Recently a buddy of mine was hired at AT and at USAirways at the same time - he chose USAirways and I wish him luck, however I think he'd have been much happier and his career would have been ‘safer’ at Airtran. Of course, things can change tomorrow.

Either way, good luck with your choice.

Where are you going to live?
US Air will probably sit out the upcoming round of consolidation. AirTran might not (they might get bought).
I like working at AirTran and personally would not leave for US Airways.

It is like going to jail and being given the choice of bunking with Bubba or Slim. Either way you're probably going to be screwed.

The real answer is that is a gamble one way or the other as to the health of the companies so chase QOL with this decision. I really wanted to live in PHX and wound up at Cactus and could not be happier all things considered. If I really wanted to live in ATL I would have sought aT and am sure would be happy there as well. If you are not, by nature, a happy person you will be miserable at either.

You'll probably upgrade faster at Air Tran. If the DAL/NWA merger comes to fruition, all bets are off as many new combinations could take place - and both Air Tran and USAirways could be in play... I'd still go with Air Tran if a quicker upgrade is important to you.

Latest resources

Back