• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran or JetBlue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Both delaying orders, both having Rev issues, both have about 1700 pilots.

JB 3 year CA = $74.00 per hour (Emb-190 @ 100 seats) 3% 401K

Tranny 3 year CA = $106.00 per hour (B717 @ 105ish) 10.5% B Fund

Max JB pay = $139.00 per hour

Max Tranny = $153.00 per hour

I hate to say it, with my background! But simple math drives you to the life of being a Tranny!

Edited: Oh ya, if you get stuck in the right seat. Tranny max FO pay is also higher. Did I mention the 10.5% B fund?

Last edited:
Jetblue has pilots who left AirTran. Three I met when I interviewed, and one while in class. Don't know anyone leaving JetBlue for AirTran. Just a thought, nothing scientific.

CD

Jetblue has pilots who left AirTran. Three I met when I interviewed, and one while in class. Don't know anyone leaving JetBlue for AirTran. Just a thought, nothing scientific.

CD

I think the reasoning behing Sailpilot's opinion is today's outlook on both companies. A year or two ago that opinion might have been much different as Jetblue had 2 year Airbus Captains and no resistance in sight. That was a good enough reason many pilots left good jobs (Airtran, UPS, ATA, AWA etc.) for JetBlue. Just in the last 6 months or so things have mellowed out (fuel, ac orders, small jet pay rates etc..). Although still looking bright for both companies, it is a tough choice. This is when location makes a big diff.

I think the reasoning behing Sailpilot's opinion is today's outlook on both companies. A year or two ago that opinion might have been much different as Jetblue had 2 year Airbus Captains and no resistance in sight. That was a good enough reason many pilots left good jobs (Airtran, UPS, ATA, AWA etc.) for JetBlue. Just in the last 6 months or so things have mellowed out (fuel, ac orders, small jet pay rates etc..). Although still looking bright for both companies, it is a tough choice. This is when location makes a big diff.

Actually his point is not outlook, it is also looking at historic averages and upgrades. The outlook points to much greater growth at JetBlue, not withstanding the fact that it could all change. Not trying to get into a A vs. B argument. I just pointed at my opinion of things I've seen and experienced.

There is no debate about this, that 10.5% B Fund kicks us square in the "junk"!! Wish we had that.

CD

roll the dice - thats what it boils down to in the end. Look back when your 60..... or 65 - please NO.

9 years ago at age 23 I tought my friend who was 18 at the time his PVT while flying 135 at the same time. I then left for the commuters hell bent on being a second generation United pilot during an age when we were all going to be international Capts by the time we were 35. My commuter airline stalled out as the 18 year old progressed in his ratings and was hired by an expanding regional. Today he is my Capt.

Feeling luckey?

=Tranny 3 year CA = $106.00 per hour (B717 @ 105ish) 10.5% B Fund

I predict that in the near future A and B funds will go the way of the dodo. Whatever you decide, I wouldn't put very much stock (no pun intended) in anything other than your own 401 in your own name.

I also predict some day we'll see an NFL expansion team playing in JetBlue stadium. You heard it hear first.

airtran without a doubt...they are delaying the order just because fall season is usually slow but despite that they will add routes one by one within a reasonable time, despite that they still fly real airplanes and they will go with all 737 fleet while they fade progressively the good ols 717...and the pilot don't have to pick-up trash between seats

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back