Airtran Jumpseat/Non-rev

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
j41driver said:
If I am trying to jumpseat on mainline Delta and I'm not the first offline jumpseater there then the only way that I can get a ride is if I already have an ID90 in my pocket for just such a case. A round trip ID90 on the city pair I use will cost me $199.xx according to our pass bureau and it has to be purchased in advance.
What he said.

I start next week with AirTran and was looking into how to get back and forth from Nashville since AirTran doesn't fly in here and, much to my surprise, Delta only takes ONE jumpseater, regardless of how many people are in the back.

In fact, I was coming back home FROM MY INTERVIEW and a AirTran F/O was trying to jumpseat. At Pinnacle, we're on CASS, so even though she showed up first, they were going to let me on and not her. Didn't even know they were going to do this until she brought it up after my seat assignment and I had to go back to the gate agent and say, "Whoa, wait a second, she was here first, this ain't right."

The pass I wrote to go to the interview COST ME $70 BUCKS! And you guys complain about an AirTran jumpseat charge of $25 bucks plus tax??!!

So go easy there, there are LOTS of airlines who have crappy jumpseat / pass travel arrangements (Delta, American, etc), but at least AirTran passes are relatively cheap AND CAN BE PURCHASED AT THE GATE. I'm looking at writing some ZED passes on CAL or USA and two-leg it as my backup to and from Atlanta because of crappy jumpseat policies that other airlines have.

The problem is the gate agents just 'list' the pass rider and issue a seat assignment. He11 we dont know if we have people in the back or not who are flight crew. Sometimes tough to tell with companies moving their pilots around .... revenue ticket riders... exec jet.. Cat... ATI... Ryan... Miami Air... etc.. etc... I hope the agents are checking their credentials...
That's just wrong. Jumpseat etiquette has ALWAYS been for the jumpseater to check with the Captain, even if they have a seat. Not to mention the gate agent, but the jumpseater should know better...

Have fun in class next week.. welcome. I have a buddy starting Monday as well.

Yeah.. they should stop by... but ... some dont... in the heat of 'loading up' they walk by the front office. They have their seat assignment.. done deal...
Had a back pack toting FO from somewhere... new to the industry .. we nicely educated him on the traditional 'Hows it going' routine'.
However, most do stop by and say Howdy.. whip out the ID and medical and chat about small talk and who everybody knows bla bla bla...

Last trip we had a nice Delta fella and a North American commuter. Neither were 'charged' for their ride !!! I had a ol grey United fella out of LGA one day get charged... He stopped by to 'chat'... I gave him 25 buck out of my pocket. He didnt take it.. but was grateful.... Our pilots will make it work if they know what is going on... Please stop by the office and WE WILL GET IT WORKED OUT. All welcome..... commuting is the pits... lets take the pain out any way we can... Our workdays are long enough...

mnboyev said:
Have fun in class next week.. welcome. I have a buddy starting Monday as well.
Cool, thanks! I'm really psyched and just plain GRATEFUL to be moving up and on with the career! :)

Let me know who your buddy is, I started an email chain between all of us with the email Gretta sent us, trying to coordinate housing if anyone hasn't gotten around to it yet and so forth. Still trying to find a good place myself, haven't had time to go down and evaluate the 2 options I've found so far, will probably do that first day of class.

Last trip we had a nice Delta fella and a North American commuter. Neither were 'charged' for their ride !!! I had a ol grey United fella out of LGA one day get charged... He stopped by to 'chat'... I gave him 25 buck out of my pocket. He didnt take it.. but was grateful.... Our pilots will make it work if they know what is going on... Please stop by the office and WE WILL GET IT WORKED OUT. All welcome..... commuting is the pits... lets take the pain out any way we can... Our workdays are long enough...
WELL SAID!

I've been a commuter for the last two airlines I've worked for, it's a pain but you gotta keep the wife happy and staying here in Nashville does that for her. She's been a pretty good sport about this goofy career,,, :)

Guys going the extra mile to get stuff worked out is what makes this career still workable in light of all the crap that's happened in the last half-decade. Nice to see there's a bunch of you at AirTran, too! :D

See you on the line!

Lear70 said:
Jumpseat etiquette has ALWAYS been for the jumpseater to check with the Captain, even if they have a seat. Not to mention the gate agent, but the jumpseater should know better...

Jumpseaters are ACM's and thus have the responsibility to notify the crew of their presence and ability to help in an emergency if needed. At minimum the jumpseater should intro him/herself to the CAPT. with the proper minimum documentation (License, Medical, Crew ID)out and available for inspection.(don't make the Capt. ask for ID). Just because you bought a seat for 25 bucks does not relieve you of this responsibility. Not to mention its just plain courtesy and proper etiquette.
If you were Capt. wouldn't you want to know who was on board? Do you want to accept riders who have had their Credentials checked by the Gate Agent?

I can see both sided of this debate:

I paid for a non-rev pass, I don't have to talk to anyone.

However, if you showed your license and medical as a condition of getting on the aircraft, you'd better check in up front.

I think that may be part of the problem. But I had a guy on the other day, from a Major and apparently a regular jumper, that just went back and sat down, I had to go introduce myself to him. Some of the problem is some people just don't know proper etiquette.

Lowrider717 said:
I think that may be part of the problem. But I had a guy on the other day, from a Major and apparently a regular jumper, that just went back and sat down, I had to go introduce myself to him. Some of the problem is some people just don't know proper etiquette.

Was he on a pass or was he the only jumpseater?

I've had the gate agent tell these guys that I want to see them before we depart.

On a recent commute to work, the capt threw an offline JSeater off for not coming up front before he took his seat.

He was the only jumpseater period. I guess some reeducation is needed. Sad to say, this fella was 20plus year veteran of a major. I figured it would be the folks new to the commuting/jumpseat that don't check in with the crew.

Ty Webb said:
Hey, Cap'n Mike:

Did you stop up front and introduce yourself to the Flight Crew? Because if you didn't, how do you expect them to know you were charged in the first place? Or, if you did, if you had let him know at the end of the flight, maybe he could've done something about it.

Yes Ty, I met the Captain, F/O and two of the F/A's. At the end of the flight, after waiting for the Passnegers to deplane, the captain was not in the flight deck when I got off of the aircraft.

Mike

-9Capt said:
Was he on a pass or was he the only jumpseater?

I've had the gate agent tell these guys that I want to see them before we depart.

On a recent commute to work, the capt threw an offline JSeater off for not coming up front before he took his seat.[/quote]

What a hero!!

Latest resources

Back