AirTran J/S

N tha jungle

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Posts
57
Total Time
3400
Will AT fill the cabin with $25 jumpseaters until the plane is full or is only one allowed? ........or does it depend on the f***in' gate agent?
 

PCL_128

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Posts
15,296
Total Time
5000+
N tha jungle said:
Will AT fill the cabin with $25 jumpseaters until the plane is full or is only one allowed? ........or does it depend on the f***in' gate agent?
They'll take as many as there are open seats. Depending on the gate agent, you might even get on for free even if you aren't the first one.
 

Steeler Fan

Here we go Steelers!
Joined
Jan 26, 2003
Posts
635
Total Time
5000+
N tha jungle said:
Will AT fill the cabin with $25 jumpseaters until the plane is full or is only one allowed? ........or does it depend on the f***in' gate agent?

Unless he/she hears you calling her a "f***in' gate agent"---:rolleyes:

Even though there may be 5 offline jumpseaters, PLEASE introduce yourselves to the Captain and ask for permission to "jumpseat" in the back--Many times, your professionalism in this regard will be rewarded with a seat in business class.
 

crashpad

"Why do you come to me?"
Joined
Jun 11, 2003
Posts
1,354
Total Time
+13000
Stop your whining, $25 dollars is a gift. Most people pay big bucks on AT for a ticket...as much as $89 one way!
 

Yank McCobb

Song and Dance Man
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Posts
538
Total Time
18000
What is Frontier charging these days to try and fill their airplanes to keep a little cash flow going in a feeble attempt to stave off the red ink that's been flowing?
 

furlough-boy

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 19, 2002
Posts
158
Total Time
5000
So we have to pay for the seat and then ask for "permission" to ride??


Steeler Fan said:
Unless he/she hears you calling her a "f***in' gate agent"---:rolleyes:

Even though there may be 5 offline jumpseaters, PLEASE introduce yourselves to the Captain and ask for permission to "jumpseat" in the back--Many times, your professionalism in this regard will be rewarded with a seat in business class.
 

UAL'01

Active member
Joined
Dec 30, 2001
Posts
33
Total Time
13000+
One would think with 5000 hours you would have learned jumpseat protocol and courtesy.
I have paid for the jumpseat before and still ask the crew ( not just the captain) for permission. And that was on Jet Blue, not AirTran.

Also, I don't think you have to pay and ask for permission. Nobody is forcing you to jumpseat on AirTran.

Regards...
 

furlough-boy

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 19, 2002
Posts
158
Total Time
5000
UAL'01 said:
One would think with 5000 hours you would have learned jumpseat protocol and courtesy.
I have paid for the jumpseat before and still ask the crew ( not just the captain) for permission. And that was on Jet Blue, not AirTran.

Also, I don't think you have to pay and ask for permission. Nobody is forcing you to jumpseat on AirTran.

Regards...

My point is that you're not riding the jumpseat if they're charging you for a seat.
 

jetdawg

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Posts
325
Total Time
9500
best thing to do is to avoid JS on us. that way you do not have to or ever have to lose sleep on this whole issue.
 

crashpad

"Why do you come to me?"
Joined
Jun 11, 2003
Posts
1,354
Total Time
+13000
Yank McCobb said:
What is Frontier charging these days to try and fill their airplanes to keep a little cash flow going in a feeble attempt to stave off the red ink that's been flowing?
Spank, I'm sorry you didn't get hired with us. Not everyone has what it takes to be an airline professional, but that doesn't mean you can't still make important contributions to the general aviation industry. You have nothing to be ashamed of.
 

XRMEFLYER

Semi-Turgid Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2003
Posts
453
Total Time
10K+
As an offline pilot you are not riding the "jumpseat" under any circumstances, however you are being given a seat as a "jumpseater" not an ID90 any other non rev interline agreement, therefore the protocol and professional courtesies that go along with that do apply.
 

Steeler Fan

Here we go Steelers!
Joined
Jan 26, 2003
Posts
635
Total Time
5000+
furlough-boy said:
So we have to pay for the seat and then ask for "permission" to ride??
I think this topic may have been addressed a few dozen times on this website, but that's OK.

If talking to the Captain is something you don't want to do, then go to www.airtran.com and buy a ticket.

It's NOT an ID-90, it's a $25 on the spot additional fee for additional offline jumpseat riders, so therefore, jumpseat etiquette is appropriate.
That being said, I'd love it if the $25 charge did not exist--

That being said, AirTran's policy gets you on the plane, and heading back home--I'd gladly welcome it if Delta, American, and UAL had the same policy-- I've spent 4-5 extra "quality hours" in ATL, because an FAA or DL line check airman was on the jumpseat, and I could not have an additional jumpseat, even though the plane had 60 seats open in coach--I cannot change their Jumpseat policy, I can only make sure that I prepare myself for the fact that it'll probably happen again soon--It's not the gate agents fault, nor is it the Captain's, so why get mad about it and look like an idiot...just be professional.

Personally, I'd rather have the option of paying the $25 and get home, than stay an extra nite in one of the fine ATL hotels, which pretty much all cost more than $25--At least with AirTran, you have the choice.
 

PCL_128

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Posts
15,296
Total Time
5000+
furlough-boy said:
So we have to pay for the seat and then ask for "permission" to ride??
You can always walk down the hall to the Delta gate and get denied because they already have one jumpseater. I'll gladly take the $25 jumpseat and pop my head in to talk to the Captain rather than get left behind when I'm trying to get home.
 

furlough-boy

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 19, 2002
Posts
158
Total Time
5000
jetdawg said:
best thing to do is to avoid JS on us. that way you do not have to or ever have to lose sleep on this whole issue.
Thank you for the professional answer to my question.
 

furlough-boy

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 19, 2002
Posts
158
Total Time
5000
UAL'01 said:
One would think with 5000 hours you would have learned jumpseat protocol and courtesy.

Regards...

Thank you very much for the condescending reply.

Nice tie.
 

Yank McCobb

Song and Dance Man
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Posts
538
Total Time
18000
crashpad said:
Spank, I'm sorry you didn't get hired with us. Not everyone has what it takes to be an airline professional, but that doesn't mean you can't still make important contributions to the general aviation industry. You have nothing to be ashamed of.
Sorry to disappoint young fledglings like yourself, but I retire after 20+ years from my current airline...the one that has made money for 30+ years...on July 31. But you are correct about one thing. I have nothing to be ashamed of. Can you say the same? I guess you can dish it out but have difficulty taking it. The mark of a sad, insecure little man.

I guess I really didn't have what it takes to be an airline professional like yourself, thank God.

Carry on trying to make those ends meet. As for trying to "get hired" with you...no thanks. I off to spend my retirement dollars.
 

FL000

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Posts
1,577
Total Time
1500
5 years ago, it cost ASA employees $15 to non-rev on Delta. So, when the jumpseat was gone...$15 to ride in the back. That was from our own employer! Thanks for changing that, by the way.
 

crashpad

"Why do you come to me?"
Joined
Jun 11, 2003
Posts
1,354
Total Time
+13000
Yank McCobb said:
but I retire after 20+ years from my current airline...I off to spend my retirement dollars.
Does that mean you'll be retiring from this board? As much as we'd all hate to see you go, we wish you the best Pretzel-Boy!
 

Capt.LongThrust

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Posts
121
Total Time
12teen
Yank McCobb said:
Sorry to disappoint young fledglings like yourself, but I retire after 20+ years from my current airline...the one that has made money for 30+ years...on July 31. But you are correct about one thing. I have nothing to be ashamed of. Can you say the same? I guess you can dish it out but have difficulty taking it. The mark of a sad, insecure little man.

I guess I really didn't have what it takes to be an airline professional like yourself, thank God.

Carry on trying to make those ends meet. As for trying to "get hired" with you...no thanks. I off to spend my retirement dollars.
Yes the old crusty oz has spoke again. Maybe ALPA could lower the retirement age to 55 to get guys like you out five years sooner. By the way did you order your scoot-around yet?
 
Top