AirTran interviews?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
tico said:
Hey Ty, What do you suppose the chances of a Alaska guy with 6 years in getting hired with you guys.......I have a 2 year degree from ERAU and 8300 total time with a couple thousand turbine PIC......have no faith in the currrent clowns running the place..........

Six years at Alaska? Go to AirTran? I'd say unless you are extremely attached to the Pacific Northwest, it might actually be a good idea. Six years at Alaska barely gets an FO off of reserve (only mild sarcarsm there). Six years at AirTran gets you three years as a Captain. How long until you upgrade at Alaska? How much growth at Alaska vs AirTran? AirTran will far outgrow Alaska.

From what I hear, things are not going well at Alaska. Alaska lost money last year. AirTran didn't. Labor relations at Alaska makes AirTran look like a love-fest. I could go on, but I think you're much better off at AirTran unless you're committed to living on the West coast in which case I'd stay at Alaska.

FL717 said:
Before I say what I'm going to say in regards to your question to Ty Webb.... I need to clarify something.

AirTran has been very VERY good to me in my life and career. My career and earning expectations have been FAR better than ANY other airline in the country had I started there versus AirTran using my DOH at AirTran. I am in my 6th calandar year at AirTran and I have earned a 6 figure salary for 3 of those years now. I have been a Captain on the B-717 and the B-737, I'm a ground school instructor in the training department, and I'm a new hire mentor for NPA (Union). This airline has offerred ALOT of fulfilling opportunities for me personally and professionally.

I cannot and do not regert anything about my desion to come to AirTran... it has been a home run for me and I am very happy here.

The maintenance here is outstanding.... and the operation is no different than 90% of ANY airline in the world. Every airline had operations problems, ours just seem to be really really surprisingly petty sometimes and it gets annoying.

AirTran could be a GREAT company.... unfortunately our management does not breed and nurture a corporate culture that allows us to be a GREAT company. This company could make numerous NO COST changes that would allow us to really become a great place to work from a HR stance.... but it hasn't happened and I do not see a shift in that culture. To effect that kind of change would involve alot a key personnel changes..... and those key personnel are doing a GREAT job at controllings costs and growing, and getting this airline successfully throught the worst downturn in airline history..... and focusing on the employees and good HR culture.... doesn't appear to be the top priority.

Now.... with all that said...... I would NEVER recommend a 6 year First Officer at Alaska Airlines to leave and come to AirTran. In my opinion it would be a step DOWN from where you are at. Alaska iis a MAJOR airline...... AirTran is a big regional airline that has Major statistics. That is not an insult to AirTran ..... its just a fact.

According to their website they have 113 a/c. Not counting horizon.

Don't we have that many?

I guess the furloughed Delta, that is on my resume, the former hiring coord (my buddy dated and I met) gave to Stephanie Grantham is killing me? Are yall hiring guys actively flying with other airlines?

Now.... with all that said...... I would NEVER recommend a 6 year First Officer at Alaska Airlines to leave and come to AirTran. In my opinion it would be a step DOWN from where you are at. Alaska iis a MAJOR airline...... AirTran is a big regional airline that has Major statistics. That is not an insult to AirTran ..... its just a fact.[/quote]

Ty and 717 thanks for the input....As far as a step down.....I am at year six with another 3-4 to go to upgrade. Alaska's only growth in the next three years will be in ASM's...airplane for airplane swap with the md-80's and 737-200's for 737-800's. I made 42,000 dollars less this year than last. It is the intent of Alaska Airlines to legislate away or freeze our retirement and replace it with "performance based pay", profit sharing and a 401-k that they contribute 5% to. We almost assuredly will see a strike in late 2009. And last but not least Anchorage, Seattle and Los Angeles are three of the most expensive places to live in the country........Just thinking that AirTran might be a better value all around........and Alaska is not a major airline by any measure......In-bread board of directors, good old boy networks running every department and evil little empire building managers all over the place. We patented the term "regional with major stats". Anyway thanks again for the input.

Stay at Alaska. I'm sure you work with a better pilot group.

dtfl said:
I guess the furloughed Delta, that is on my resume, the former hiring coord (my buddy dated and I met) gave to Stephanie Grantham is killing me? Are yall hiring guys actively flying with other airlines?

There are a handful of Delta guys here now. I will say that if these are any indication of what Delta guys & their attitudes are like, you will have NO problem getting in. I’ve flown with a couple now & it seems most of them are getting recommended by the same source (the very first one to get hired). It should be easy for you to find out who he is (internally). It’ll be a privilege to fly with ya. Best.

There's two Delta retirees in our class, got out early while they still could. Great guys, if you know them see if you can get them to recommend you.

Furloughees seem to have a harder time.

crosscut said:
There are a handful of Delta guys here now. I will say that if these are any indication of what Delta guys & their attitudes are like, you will have NO problem getting in. I’ve flown with a couple now & it seems most of them are getting recommended by the same source (the very first one to get hired). It should be easy for you to find out who he is (internally). It’ll be a privilege to fly with ya. Best.

Thanks. Appreciate it. I wonder why we furloughees have a harder time. Do you think the company thinks we might go back? why? A long term job is the better bet! I'll keep plugging away and updating my app, but I don't know any Delta pilots on property.

Clyde Frog said:
Stay at Alaska. I'm sure you work with a better pilot group.

9 posts and this ****************************** bag has trashed Air Tran in 8 of them and JB in 1. Well Einstein, you coward, I'm glad to see you can still call names and run and hide behind your daddy's computer. How's the flight attendant thing working out for you, chicken sh*t!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back