AirTran Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IFLYASA

So I have been beating myself up trying to understand what AirTran is looking for to get hired. Of my interview class, it seems the most experience pilots were turned down, while one who made it has never flown a jet/turboprop. What gives?

Does anyone know the magic formula? Is there such a thing as having too much experience? I thought the interview went wonderful. Very simple and laid back.

I know guys are leaving for better places. I'm just wandering if they are rejecting guys who look to "marketable", and believe they will leave as well. Therefore they may get turned down. It's the only thing that seems logical. Maybe if they see you come back in 6 months, then you get hired because you haven't gone elsewhere.

Any clue?

So I have been beating myself up trying to understand what AirTran is looking for to get hired. Of my interview class, it seems the most experience pilots were turned down, while one who made it has never flown a jet/turboprop. What gives?

Does anyone know the magic formula? Is there such a thing as having too much experience? I thought the interview went wonderful. Very simple and laid back.

I know guys are leaving for better places. I'm just wandering if they are rejecting guys who look to "marketable", and believe they will leave as well. Therefore they may get turned down. It's the only thing that seems logical. Maybe if they see you come back in 6 months, then you get hired because you haven't gone elsewhere.

Any clue?

Previously, they were looking for the same thing that SWA, CAL, UPS, etc were looking for, but with an emphasis on 121 PIC time.

This strategy really backfired when they came out with a regional-style TA that showed it's gonna be a rocky road for quite a while around here. Sad thing is, they'd rather spend an extra $25K training two guys for the same job, than give the $25K out in raises to happy, productive pilots.

My guess (and this is only a guess) that due to the spike in attrition, they have probably made some changes in what they are looking for, seeking candidates that are not likely to be in the pool at other carriers.

What those changes are, I don't know.

If this TA passes, you wouldn't want to work here, so I would keep that in mind.

Last edited:
If this TA passes, you wouldn't want to work here, so I would keep that in mind.

Not to be off subject, but I understand this TA is so bad. So is there still more than a few junior FO/senior CA that still buy that POS, that convince you that this TA would actually fly?

IFLY,
How long from interview to notice that you didn't get the job?
How long for those who did get the job?
When did you interview?
Thanks,
NA

The TA is not the only problem. To me this represents what the future of AAI might be. Similar to a 737/RJ airline with low pay and crappy QOL. My personal experience was great compared to ASA but after actually reading the TA it appears that it is time to start over again. The union here is either clueless or is trying to cover up some type of bribe to approve such a concessionary contract and then lie about what is actually in writing. This completely destroyed the imagined " team concept" for me and made me realize that pilots are not special, only shareholders are. I would truly urge you to rethink why you want AAI after reading the TA. The 12 year CA rates on the @86 seat RJ are @$100.

If you are truly financially stable and are not basing everything on a quick upgrade then AAI might still work out for you since alot of pilots will be leaving if this TA/mindset grows roots. Good luck to you as this has been a wake up call to never stop updating a logbook.

The TA is not the only problem. To me this represents what the future of AAI might be. Similar to a 737/RJ airline with low pay and crappy QOL. My personal experience was great compared to ASA but after actually reading the TA it appears that it is time to start over again. . . . . . . This completely destroyed the imagined " team concept" for me and made me realize that pilots are not special, only shareholders are. I would truly urge you to rethink why you want AAI after reading the TA. The 12 year CA rates on the @86 seat RJ are @$100.

Very well put. I agree, and as 6 year CA, I find myself updating my logbooks and looking for a Company that values their employees instead of degrading them. Life is too short to be living in a battered pilot shelter, and that's what this place would turn into under this TA.

The sky is falling.....naww..it will be ok fellas...just a process we go through to get what we need !!! Its all been done before...its just our turn.... Fight !!!

IFLY,
How long from interview to notice that you didn't get the job?
How long for those who did get the job?
When did you interview? May 9th
Thanks,
NA

Got the offer 4 weeks after I interviewed AND after one of my friends sent an e-mail to check my status. I got a phone call the next day.

Got the offer 4 weeks after I interviewed AND after one of my friends sent an e-mail to check my status. I got a phone call the next day.

Dude! Way to go, Capn Colgate!!! Welcum to da Trannie. We be in da hizzie makkin sho dat yoo an da peeps be gettin a saweet ole contract, ya dig?

AWWW YEAAAHHH!!!!!!!!

Latest resources

Back