Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wheelsup

Non-Registered User
Does airtran still do internal hiring? I flew with a guy, about 12 months ago, doing some recurrency training before his ground school date, that had about 1200 TT and 200 multi, no turbine, and got hired as a pilot. He was a ramp manager (I believe) prior to moving to the flying.

He said you must work there atleast 12 months, possibly more, depending on experience.

I took it with a grain of salt, but according to this guy he wasn't the first one. Any truth to this?

thanks
~wheelsup

Although second hand info here, what I heard from his classmate (if it's the same guy) was this ramper-turn-pilot "resigned" (read: washed out) during sim training "to get more experience." The only other internal hiring of which I'm aware is a furloughed TWA pilot that was hired as a ramper in BMI for a few months (I flew with him) & then, deservably (sp?), was given a class date. Others (one or two f/a's) have attempted, to the best of my knowledge, but to no avail. Anyways, sounds to be an exception rather than norm. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Many have tried, few have succeded. At least 4 F/A's I know personally have tried. 2 are still building time (one is at ASA, she is the wife of an instructor/ck airman, and one towing banners in MYR) the other 2 have given up trying. A guy from crew planning is now a capt. I hear stories of rampers trying but never making it.

We have one FO that was hired with very low time. He was in the maintenance/engineering side first. He is definitely one of the better guys I've flown with.

We do a lot of internal hiring. My initial new hire sim partner was a mechnic with less then 1000 hours. I have flown with fo's that ere rampers, engineers, FA's and station mgrs. I can name at least 6 fo's that were from other departments, most with less then 2000 hours total time.

The DO gets a lot of crap around here, but you have got to give the DO this, he will give people a shot, if they have good rec's from their immediate supervisor. Some have not made it through training, but like I said before I know of 6 that have. For the DO to give somebody a shot with that kind of total time, and the expense invovled in training them if they don't make it is pretty admirable.

I work at FL in Operations and I fly as much as I can before work and on my off days. My ultimate goal is fly for AirTran....Having started as an agent and now moved to Ops, I hope that one day I'll be in the right seat of a 717....I know it's several years down the road but I'm gonna try like hell to do it!

Latest resources

Back