• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

Airtran internal hiring

wheelsup

Non-Registered User
Total Time
>1
Does airtran still do internal hiring? I flew with a guy, about 12 months ago, doing some recurrency training before his ground school date, that had about 1200 TT and 200 multi, no turbine, and got hired as a pilot. He was a ramp manager (I believe) prior to moving to the flying.

He said you must work there atleast 12 months, possibly more, depending on experience.

I took it with a grain of salt, but according to this guy he wasn't the first one. Any truth to this?

thanks
~wheelsup

crosscut

Total Time
Although second hand info here, what I heard from his classmate (if it's the same guy) was this ramper-turn-pilot "resigned" (read: washed out) during sim training "to get more experience." The only other internal hiring of which I'm aware is a furloughed TWA pilot that was hired as a ramper in BMI for a few months (I flew with him) & then, deservably (sp?), was given a class date. Others (one or two f/a's) have attempted, to the best of my knowledge, but to no avail. Anyways, sounds to be an exception rather than norm. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

-9Capt

Total Time
48.3yr
Many have tried, few have succeded. At least 4 F/A's I know personally have tried. 2 are still building time (one is at ASA, she is the wife of an instructor/ck airman, and one towing banners in MYR) the other 2 have given up trying. A guy from crew planning is now a capt. I hear stories of rampers trying but never making it.

cl65capt

Just say NO
Total Time
enough
Where can we go to see the top half of your avatar?

DCitrus9

Son of a son of a sailor
Total Time
>12K
We have one FO that was hired with very low time. He was in the maintenance/engineering side first. He is definitely one of the better guys I've flown with.

XBOEINGDRVR

Total Time
>16K
I personally know of a gate agent a few years back who moved over to the line.(Low time guy)

atldc9

Total Time
12000+
We do a lot of internal hiring. My initial new hire sim partner was a mechnic with less then 1000 hours. I have flown with fo's that ere rampers, engineers, FA's and station mgrs. I can name at least 6 fo's that were from other departments, most with less then 2000 hours total time.

The DO gets a lot of crap around here, but you have got to give the DO this, he will give people a shot, if they have good rec's from their immediate supervisor. Some have not made it through training, but like I said before I know of 6 that have. For the DO to give somebody a shot with that kind of total time, and the expense invovled in training them if they don't make it is pretty admirable.

Citrus531

Total Time
I work at FL in Operations and I fly as much as I can before work and on my off days. My ultimate goal is fly for AirTran....Having started as an agent and now moved to Ops, I hope that one day I'll be in the right seat of a 717....I know it's several years down the road but I'm gonna try like hell to do it!