Airtran in CASS charging 25.00

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pipe,

How about introducing yourself to the captain for the sake of having the fee waived in the first place? Captains have some influence in that regard and the few times I have had more than one jumpseater, no fee has yet applied. Internally, there may be some buttons to push... The least I can AND will do is make sure the fee was assessed appropriately and see if there is a way to reshuffle the non-revs to reverse the charge. If the time doesn't permit the aforementioned and the charge was in any way inaccurate, I would document it for any future corrective action. On the other hand, I couldn't be instrumental in any way if I didn't know there was a "$25-pass-rider" in the back. BTW, I thank everybody upon deplaning to include telling the jumpseater to please come back & see us again, fee or no fee.

P.S. Our FOM DOES require that EVERY OAL jumpseater (fee or no fee) presents his credentials to the captain for review.

I ask every offline jumpseater (whether he was the first or tenth) if he was charged anything, and I've managed to get them their money back on a few occasions.

It seems most gate agents outside ATL don't charge anyway.

Eagle Shark if I was ever meant to grow up I would have done it along time ago. Thanks for recognizing one of my many attributes. Dude, I fly planes for a living. Dont like working too much, and I surely enjoy parties. Now that $25 pass you got over there stinks, as we all know. Your taking Beer Money from fellow partiers. Thats just not RIGHT...NOT RIGHT! By the way guys, I would not have a problem telling you that to your face. I would hope that you would be humble enough to say " Johnny, I know your right, and here, take my $25 bucks so you can buy more beer and hang out at the clubs in Atlanta while Im working" I would take the money and say Thank You, the first Lap Dance will be didicated to you Captain Eagle Shark.

Just so I'm clear here: You Tranny CAs that want OAL $25 pass-riders to check in up front are talking about the $25 walk-up additional jumpseater passes, right?

If I've purchased a service charge pass on AirTran through my pass bureau procedures in advance, I'm just another non-rev'er right? Even if I'm traveling in uniform, I'm not technically traveling at the CAs discretion, so no need to check-in up-front in advance, right?

And just so I can avoid any lectures about "professional courtesy," my airline's FOM says pass-riders are just another passenger and cabin jumpseaters (assigned by the gate) are NOT to check-in with the CA prior to the flight (only flightdeck jumpseaters). I only point this out to illustrate that different airlines have different expectations of cabin jumpseaters -- if yours is different, fine, but that doesn't make it the only "right" way.

Just so I'm clear here: You Tranny CAs that want OAL $25 pass-riders to check in up front are talking about the $25 walk-up additional jumpseater passes, right?

If I've purchased a service charge pass on AirTran through my pass bureau procedures in advance, I'm just another non-rev'er right? Even if I'm traveling in uniform, I'm not technically traveling at the CAs discretion, so no need to check-in up-front in advance, right?

And just so I can avoid any lectures about "professional courtesy," my airline's FOM says pass-riders are just another passenger and cabin jumpseaters (assigned by the gate) are NOT to check-in with the CA prior to the flight (only flightdeck jumpseaters). I only point this out to illustrate that different airlines have different expectations of cabin jumpseaters -- if yours is different, fine, but that doesn't make it the only "right" way.

Our FOM is evidently different in this area than yours (and different than my former employer's), so in light of that, please comply with what our FOM says. If our agents don't tell you to introduce yourself to the Captain (and you're not addicted to Flightinfo), I'm assuming it's an oversight, and I'll inform you of what our policy is.

Here's the deal. I work for AirTran. They have an FOM. I get paid to comply with the FOM (and my contract). Why anyone would get all ticked off at me for trying to do my job is ridiculous!

Here's the deal (part 2). I commute and I have friends who commute. I want you to get where you need to go without paying a dime! If you introduce yourself, I'll try to put you in a fatter seat up in Business Class (even if I haven't been offered the same deal at Delta since I worked for US Airways, I'll still gladly do it for you).

If you know what our FOM says and know what the rules are in terms of our jumpseat policy, and choose to intentionally blow it off, don't be surprised if a Captain calls you out on it (plz Ty and -9 Capt, assume ignorance until proven otherwise). If the agent tells you to intro yourself to the Captain, and you don't, then don't whine if the Captain removes you from the flight.

If the policy really bothers you that much, then don't ride on us. Pipe, you're always welcome, and I respect you a ton, but as ridiculous as the policy is, it's there, I hate it, but it is what it is until (if) we can get it changed.

That is correct. All forms of non-rev other than jumpseaters need not check in w/the capt. All jumpseaters, however, do... even you paid the $25 at the gate.

Sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too. .

This is exactly what has been going on. -9capt is the first Tranny guy I've heard actually admit they're charging for the jumpseat. (thanks for telling it strait). Most the others on the board try to claim it's a pass, but still insist you have to present your jumpseating creds. and check in with the captain. You can't have it both ways.

If I've purchased a service charge pass on AirTran through my pass bureau procedures in advance, I'm just another non-rev'er right? Even if I'm traveling in uniform, I'm not technically traveling at the CAs discretion, so no need to check-in up-front in advance, right?.

Exactly my point.

The mere fact you are supposed to check in with the Capt makes what you are doing "jumpseating". And if you were charged $25 to board the aircraft, you were charged to jumpseat.

Remember this, AirTran company policy went from unlimited offline jumpseaters, to only as many as actual jumpseats installed, on the same day they instituted the $25 charge.

It's bull$h!t, we don't like it, but we didn't create it either, so I'm not going to apologize for it.

Steeler- No way I'd give a guy crap for an honest mistake, but if he knowingly blew off the cockpit visit 'cause he was pissed about forking over $25, that's another story.

Steeler- No way I'd give a guy crap for an honest mistake, but if he knowingly blew off the cockpit visit 'cause he was pissed about forking over $25, that's another story.

Exactly my point as well. -9 Capt is a pretty easy going guy, and VERY PRO-COMMUTER, so unless you go attitude on him, he's not going to go "Concorde Captain" on you.

He's not out to get you, he just has seen to many repeat offenders, and in that regard, when he says it's getting old and he's getting tired of seeing people intentionally blowing off our rules, I agree with him. If you have a problem with that, seek transportation elsewhere, otherwise, you are more than welcome anytime.

I can't wait until this thread topic comes up again sometime in the next 3 months.

Oh, almost forgot, GO STEELERS!!!!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back