Airtran gets number 100:)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DonVerita said:
The reason your pay is "so stinkin' low on the 190" is because you don't have a contract. Maybe if you guys would stand up for yourselves, instead of walking around the airport terminals like you own the world, and get an in-house union (or whomever you want) on the premises, you'd have the leverage to negotiate proper pay rates.

But I know that may be hard to do since all your pilots signed management's ridiculous individual 5 year "renewable" labor agreement as a condition of being hired and therefore have a perpetual dark cloud hanging over your heads.

Sure, the Unions at Delta, USAirways, NWA, United, TWA etc... have done such a great job for their members.... Makes me want to run right out and start one of my own...........NOT!

MD80DRVR said:
Sure, the Unions at Delta, USAirways, NWA, United, TWA etc... have done such a great job for their members.... Makes me want to run right out and start one of my own...........NOT!

I knew it wouldn't take long for an immature jab like that to be posted. Re-read what I wrote.

I said, "in-house union (or whomever)".

We do quite well with our union. It is in-house and has solid support from our pilot group as evidenced by polls conducted by an outside professional polling company.

Listen dude.....did you ever think that maybe we don't want a union (in-house or not)? If you don't work here, then why do you even give a sh*t? Why don't you worry about yourself and we'll worry about JetBlue.:rolleyes:

MD80DRVR said:
Listen dude.....did you ever think that maybe we don't want a union (in-house or not)? If you don't work here, then why do you even give a sh*t? Why don't you worry about yourself and we'll worry about JetBlue.:rolleyes:

A lot of people give a sh*t because you are dragging down the pay for the rest of the industry with your new EMB190 wannabe a full-size jet. That puts pressure on everyone else to lower their wages. We are in contract negotiations right now and you and your kool-aid drinking management brown nosers aren't making things any easier for us or any other pilot group trying to hold the line.

Next thing you know, you'll have pay for training...and be happy to do it. Thank you sir, may I have another?

Last edited:
Well since we're talking about two completely different aircraft, and because our's are RJ's :rolleyes: and your's are not... you shouldn't have to worry about it. Two totally different animals. So instead of wasting your time posting here about a company that you have nothing to do with, why don't you go volunteer for your union and help them get and industry leading contract.

Hey Don,

settle down dude. MD80DRVR is right, let them worry about jetBlue and we'll worry about AirTran. I'm sure jetBlue is getting just as many resumes a day as we are and I'm also quite sure all those people that are sending in those resumes are fully aware of the pay rates. Wasn't that long ago that we were accused of dragging down the industry, sh!t we probably still are. When I started here, Capts made a salary of $50,000 per year and FO's $25,000. I knew full well what the pay was when I accepted the job. I took a chance and it payed off. I upgraded after 13 months and am now in the top 20% of the seniority list. Regarding your comments about us being in contract negotiations right now. Here's how I see it. If management offers a sub standard contract and our negotiating comitee accepts it and after a vote it is ratified, then shame on us, we have no one to blame but ourselves. Not MD80DRVR, not jetBlue not anyone. Just ourselves. As far as pay for training goes, Valujet, which was the predecesor to AirTran, (for those that didn't know that, just kidding), was pay for training. I realise that we both work for the same company but I think your comments to MD80DRVR were a little out of line.

717capt said:
Hey Don,

...Regarding your comments about us being in contract negotiations right now. Here's how I see it. If management offers a sub standard contract and our negotiating comitee accepts it and after a vote it is ratified, then shame on us, we have no one to blame but ourselves. Not MD80DRVR, not jetBlue not anyone. Just ourselves. As far as pay for training goes, Valujet, which was the predecesor to AirTran, (for those that didn't know that, just kidding), was pay for training. I realise that we both work for the same company but I think your comments to MD80DRVR were a little out of line.

Hey Capt,

I stand by my comments and I stand by my union negotiating team.

And I really don't care how it used to be back when you were part of the old ValuJet days; I wasn't there, nor would I ever have applied for a position with that airline. For all we know, you're a former scab. The current AirTran has no ties to the old ValuJet other than a few remnants like yourself. Totally different airline.

I never insinuated that anyone was to blame for an upcoming contract of which we have no idea what it will be. My point was that since jetBlue doesn't have a union or a contract themselves, they are unfortunately unable to exercise any leverage in getting those -190 pay rates up to something more respectable and that hurts all of us.

One thing is for sure though. Management will still keep paying themselves bonuses no matter what happens.

It feels good..... Ahh... thats it.. right there...... Union brotherly love...

God... I hope we get a contract before another Discount Airline Guy commercial comes out. This industry is degrading into a sink hole.

I heard possibly leather seats for Business Class ??

3 more 737 this year, 2 a month next year, one more city this year, leather seats in biz- all confirmed.

Latest resources

Back