• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran gets into the RJ game

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
National Pilots Association (AirTran pilot's union), today send out e-mail to its members that stated support for company's decision for code sharing with Air Wisconsin. The email stated that they were consulted on the issue by the company, and will be monitoring the situation in the future to insure contract compliance.

This is gonna be sad to watch happen to so many good people at Airtran. I'll send over a half used tube of K-Y. So you can get ready for the :

WHIPSAWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

Different fleet types, commuter (or regional affiliations) and other items will make Air Tran more like the majors that are not performing very well. Look at JB and SWA, same fleet type, and they do their own flying. Whether it is a 180 mile flight to Rochester NY or a transcon out west.

I wish the Air Tran guys the best. I have jumped seated and always found them to be professional and extremely friendly.

Maybe they will make this expansion work. I do get a kick out of all us pilots telling everyone how to run an airline (guilty myself) but if Ican add my 2 cents.

Wait till the DC-9 are retired then purchase another type (so you don't have three). Since you switched to Boeing stay with them, don't start mixing fleets (Airbus and Boeing, that will cost money).

When your expansion plan winds down and the outsourcing contract come up, end it, and go back to all Air Tran flying performed by Air Tran pilots.

Work hand and hand with management. You guys seem to be doing it, it is obvious good relations seem to be a cataylist (sp?) in the success of JB and SWA.

Good Luck!!
AAflyer

Last edited:
crosscut said:
-I’m sorry (not really) my “unprecedented scum bag low pay” ruined your party.
-Why the quotes? I didn't say anything like that?
----------Your quote, “I am not "whining" when I express concern that the new generations of airlines which compete by paying their employees less establishes very bad precedent that will affect all of us.” Quotes are there because, while not verbatim, they represent your view, and the last I want to do is to have you accuse me of plagiarizing.

--------------Compare my original rational statement to "scub bag low pay." You equate the two?

-Was kind of hoping others would raise theirs so all of us don't have to lower ours.
----------My whole point is to give up a little (aka concessions) to keep our own off the street, isn’t it?

---------Fine, it is your decision. I did not bring up the concessions. They do not concern me. Airlines who compete by paying their employees less (not temporary concessions, permanant rates) do concern me. I think it sets a very dangerous precedent for our profession.

-You're right. I was born a Delta pilot. I didn't work for it at all.
----------Sure you did. Just try acknowledging every once in a while.

------What are you talking about? Are you asking me to brag about how hard I worked? I would sound like the egotist you are making me out to be. All of us have worked hard. I don't get on here to brag, I get on here to discuss the state of the industry.

-While concessions would certainly save money, our president himself said that they would only keep as many pilots as they need, concessions or not. Want to argue, call him. I'm jus tthe messenger.
----------I’m glad our president sees it differently.

-------I'm glad you're glad.

-If and when concessions are needed, I will support them.
----------But in an earlier post, same thread, you said, “You don't have to convince me of AAI guy's willingness to accept lower pay. That doesn't impress me. That kind of "support" I can do without.”

Again, delta, it’s either you support or you don't support. No back pedaling.

-------I thought I was pretty clear. I do not support any airline competing on the basis of employee wages. I am not blind, I know that it is going to happen, but that does not mean I have to support the practice.

Part of the problem, delta, is I don’t see your spirit behind my monitor and all I have are your words. And if you think my misinterpreting you is an “apparent paranoia,” then, let me remind you that I’m not the only one reacting to your overconfidence.

-----------Overconfidence? Again, what are you talking about? This whole thing started because I poked fun at my own airline's shortcomings, and attempted to warn the AAI guys of the potential for disaster. Somehow my rhetorical question of "what could go wrong" turned me into "whiny" "God-like" (which I assume was sarcastic) "arrogant" and "egotistical" I am told that I am a guy who thinks "money equals merit." I am told to "get a life" and I am teased because it may be "years before I get back to my throne in ATL."

You are right. You are not the only one reacting to something, but it is not overconfience that you are reacting to. I won't guess what it is, but I have a few ideas. Remember, sometimes mobs are not in the right.

I mentioned some things that I consider to be idicitative of storm clouds on the horizon for all of us. I took the time to research annual reports and posted a rational and polite post supported with public information. You guys, on the other hand, seem content to talk about our egos. Fine. Do it without me. I won't be a part of it.

FDJ,
I found your information intriguing. Especially the part about the fuel. Our little company got locked in with a price of .62 cents plus flowage not good but not bad. I was surpirsed to see the high cost of fuel for Airtran. One thing you have to remember with airlines, big airlines, big expenses, big labour, big loss, big profit it all swings with the economy. A little company like Airtran and ours just look at ways to survive and eckkk out a profit.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back