• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

9rj9

AirTran Airways Announces New Regional Jet Service

Orlando, FL-based AirTran Airways announced today a new regional jet
operation, AirTran JetConnect, scheduled to begin service November 15.
AirTran JetConnect, operated by Air Wisconsin, will fly CRJ regional
jets in short-haul markets to and from the airline's hub at Hartsfield
Atlanta International Airport (ATL).

Operating the 50-seat CRJ, AirTran JetConnect will initially serve
several cities including Greensboro, NC, Pensacola, FL, and Savannah,
GA, all of which are currently served by AirTran Airways.

Great. The beggining of another "scope" issue with a mainline pilot force. Why can't airlines just keep to themselves so the employees are happy? If Airtran wants to expand......they should expand themselves, not outsource.

ORNSTEIN IS A F(*&#ING LIAR!!!

get this..mesa was in talks with AirTran a few weeks ago. When asked about AirWis getting the codeshare JO responded that AIR WISCONSIN UNDER BID US!! Imagine that...one of the highest paid regionals underbidding the lowest paid bottom feeder...

Real reason is AIRTRAN wants nothing to do with the NEW LORENZO!!

I agree with EMB1452002. Airtran guys should go to "Forklift Joe" with industry avg. rj rates and other stuff to bring the RJ's to your company. It only means more ac and flying for you. Any Airtran guys agree?

If I had taken the job with you guys 2 years ago (and believe me I wish I had) I'd be in his office tomorrow trying to get that flying.

Although its just an opinion from a member of the US Air disfuctional, multi company, wholly owned, mixed with contractor, Jets 4 Wholly Owned Pilots' Jobs, no direction family.

Happy Flying

Responding to the above, in no particular order:

Yes, we have a scope clause. It limits the size to 70 seats, and the total number of aircraft is tied in to ASM of mainline. We chose not to fly these size aircraft in our current contract.
Airtran is already planning 25% growth next year by adding 717s, we can't expand any faster on our own. The AirTran Jet Connect makes perfect sense to complement what is already in place.

Personally, I would prefer to see these aircraft flown by mainline pilots if it is beneficial to the company AND to the pilots. Nobody I've spoken with wants to fly the RJ. Most of us came here from a similar plane/operation and enjoy the planes we fly now. On the other hand, the 737-800 we are all hoping for will definitely be flown by mainline!

I agree with DCitrus. I think it makes sense to free up our aircraft to pursue bigger markets, while still reaping the benefit of the smaller markets we have established.

As far as bringing RJ's in-house, I don't think we should re-invent the wheel, starting a whole training dept to deal with RJ's at a time when we still have DC9 and B717 training already. I would love to see more AirTran pilots on the seniority list, but it is more important right now to be profitable than to be large.

I, too, would rather see Mgmnt focus on bigger and better things down the road, so if we can get Air WIsconsin to serve some of our routes that have loads more suited to an RJ, it sounds pretty smart.

I hope we can get cockpit j/s authorization, though, I don't want to give up my"sure-fire" ride to work . . .

Last edited:
DCitrus9 said:
Responding to the above, in no particular order:

Yes, we have a scope clause. It limits the size to 70 seats, and the total number of aircraft is tied in to ASM of mainline. We chose not to fly these size aircraft in our current contract.
Airtran is already planning 25% growth next year by adding 717s, we can't expand any faster on our own. The AirTran Jet Connect makes perfect sense to complement what is already in place.

Personally, I would prefer to see these aircraft flown by mainline pilots if it is beneficial to the company AND to the pilots. Nobody I've spoken with wants to fly the RJ. Most of us came here from a similar plane/operation and enjoy the planes we fly now. On the other hand, the 737-800 we are all hoping for will definitely be flown by mainline!

What could possibly go wrong?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back