Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran first to Branson, MO (exclusive rights)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyAirtran

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2008-12-10-branson-airport_N.htm

AirTran first airline to sign on at new Branson Airport
By Roger Yu, USA TODAY

An investor group planning the USA's only privately developed and operated commercial airport, in Branson, Mo., has recruited AirTran as the resort destination's first airline.
The discount carrier will operate one round-trip flight a day from its hub in Atlanta starting May 11, when the $150 million Branson Airport opens for commercial service. The fares will start at about $200 round trip, and the airline may launch other routes in Branson in the future, says AirTran spokesman Tad Hutcheson.
AirTran and Branson Airport officials plan to make a formal announcement Thursday.
Known for its mass-market entertainment and country music shows, Branson, which has about 7,500 residents, has no commercial airport, although it hosted about 8 million visitors last year. Nearly 90% of its visitors drive or take a tour bus, says Ross Summers, CEO of Branson/Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce. Those who fly usually land at Springfield-Branson National Airport, which is 55 miles north of Branson, or Drake Field in Fayetteville, Ark., which is 108 miles south.
Jeff Bourk, executive director of Branson Airport, says talks are continuing with other airlines, and he hopes to line up other carriers by May.
Construction began in July 2007 after Branson Airport, the company that owns and financed the airport, obtained funding. Its sole 7,140-foot runway has been completed. Its 58,000-square-foot terminal will have four gates, enough to handle about 1 million boardings a year.
Steve Peet, CEO of Branson Airport, says he was a passive investor in past attempts to develop the airport but took an active role in 2004 to spearhead the project. He raised $35 million of equity funding and $114 million in debt financing. Peet is also an owner of McLean, Va.-based Aviation Facilities, an airport consulting company that's also the lead developer of Branson Airport.
Branson will pay the airport $8.24 for each arriving passenger, capped at $2 million a year. Also, much of the airport's land has been donated to the county, which reduces the airport's property taxes.
To attract AirTran, Branson Airport gave the airline exclusive rights to serve the airport from Atlanta and other cities for "a period of time," Bourk says. He declined to elaborate on other assistance. "We're not writing a check for $5 million or anything crazy like that. That's all I can say."
Share this story:

Yeeeeeessss!!!!!!

HA! HA! HA!, Take that DELTA!!!!, you guys might get to fly to Europe, Asia and Africa, but Branson is all ours!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
That is a joke to the free market system. Tax payer dollars helped build that airport so let the tax payers have the choice on who they want to fly on. Competition is good or so I thought......

Airtran only goes to these places because there is an incentive package involved. When the incentive goes away, they usually do too--- ala Myrtle Beach and Gulfport; or one city offers them more of an incentive ala Pensacola vs Valparaiso (Eglin AFB). Other cities are trapped by arrangements made by the city's chamber of commerce-- Wichita...

Last edited:
That is a joke to the free market system. Tax payer dollars helped build that airport so let the tax payers have the choice on who they want to fly on. Competition is good or so I thought......

Your post is a joke to reading comprehension skills. The article is about a PRIVATE company that built a PRIVATE airport.

The problem with Privatization is the benefits of public space and what an airport brings to the public sphere is negated by the gains to a private company...

I know, I know, what is the big deal..... right...?

Zero taxpayer dollars went into that airport. Zero.

It's 100% their sandbox so they get the right to decide who gets to play.

Latest resources

Back