AirTran expected to report "record" profit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's EXACTLY what they're doing.

The more time that goes by, the less angry and militant they believe the pilot group will become; that's straight out of the ALPA concessionary contract playbook and, for the most part, they're right.

Without someone to keep everyone energized and motivated towards a better contract, it will dillute the NO vote we need so desperately to be high. I'm wondering, short of a recall effort starting NOW, what would keep the average line pilot's eye on the ball?

Maybe this will help keep the motivation up; how effective is a BoD that has gone beyond not representing the pilot to basically representing the company?

Look at this from their (the BoDs) point of view.
**They send us this TA, with their full endorsement.
**They "say" they admit that the TA either needs to win, or go down hard.
**We get excuses that it was the best they could do with the support they were getting.
**They say some of the language will change to reflect the true intent of the particular section prior to a vote (not happening is it?).
**They tell us what the company's true intentions are always in our favor. (yeah riiiiggght). Blah, blah, blah.

THEN, behind closed doors, they whisper their discontent with the TA, but tell us it's the best they can do ("I voted in favor, but I’m really opposed to it” mantra keeps rising).
I have seen emails and heard conversations from BoD members to pilots that are stunningly condescending and arrogant.
Then the finale', they delay the vote until the end of the month, and will run it for 21 days, in an effort to dilute a "no" vote. They know it will still go down, but they're consciously making an effort to dilute the "no's", and for what purpose?

The only way I see this is that they don't want to go through this again, and will pull out every stop to make it as hard for us (their membership) as they possibly can. They will dilute the vote, wait 5 to 6 months to restart talking, and then come up with something that, in all likelihood, is not much better. Not one BoD member has shown any of us that they are willing to fight for us, yet their actions show how much they are willing to fight against us.

Actions speak louder than words, and their actions are speaking loud and clear!

You should be blaming yourself and your fellow pilots. Think about it.
Go back to your cubicle, Chuckie... er... I mean, 400ADude...

I don't know the status of the recall effort, I'm not involved in it right now. Didn't want to sign it and didn't want to go there, but it's looking like we're running out of options with the way the NPA BOD continues to behave.

I am voting yes!!

Are you really that ignorant? How can you vote yes for a single concession in the face of record profits?
Those profits will be used to fund record bonuses. If they are asking for concessions from us - what concessions are they going to take?
(hint - none)

Where do I find out how to vote for a recall?

Ding! DIng! Ding! We have a winner!

A RESPONSIBLE management team would have understood there's a balance to make the employees happy while not bankrupting the company. Now we have to not only fly our planes, but fight the very company we're working for AND fight our own union leadership, and that simply sucks.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

At some point, the people of quality say, "I deserve better than this" and start heading for the door . . . . leaving the scabs, the super senior, the dimwits and the unemployable.

In other words, an airline that won't last long. . . .

In the long run, the pilot part of it is really about safety, efficiency and customer service, and without a suitable contract, they will experience rapidly churning turnover, an apethetic workforce, and newhires of marginal skill and experience . . . . . . hardly the stuff necessary to compete against a LCC that has a happy, motivated and appreciated workforce.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back