AirTran cuts again for '09

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Max Powers

apply_behaviours(); jQuery(document).ready(function($){ if (document.all) { $("#share-links li").hoverClass("sfHover"); } }); jQuery.fn.hoverClass = function(c) { return this.each(function(){ jQuery(this).hover( function() { jQuery(this).addClass(c); }, function() { jQuery(this).removeClass(c); } ); }); }; var articleLocation = document.URL.replace(/(http:\/\/.*?\/).*?(\/.*)/, '$1services$2'); var buzzURL = encodeURIComponent(articleLocation.split('?')[0]); ajc.com > Business > Delta
AirTran cutting flight capacity

By KELLY YAMANOUCHI
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Tuesday, December 02, 2008
AirTran Airways plans to cut its flight capacity by 3 to 7 percent next year, after reversing its growth plans this year.
AirTran, which is based in Orlando and has its main hub in Atlanta, is “focused more on liquidity than ever before,” said AirTran chief executive Bob Fornaro during a presentation at the Credit Suisse Global Airline Conference in New York on Tuesday.

AirTran already has cut its capacity by 6 to 7 percent in the fourth quarter of this year.
AirTran and other airlines are cutting capacity as they see demand slowing due to the recession.

Great more furloughs then?

Make plans boys and girls, the end is getting near! I'm not bashing just being realistic, I'm starting my eighth year here and will probabally be on reserve next year, most likely the whole year!

I agree.... We are paying for mistakes done 2-3 years ago. Both JL and BF were here then.
The growth was fine just not where it was needed...

This sucks. Been here 5 years and I'm going back to the right seat...

The Reduction Award RN 08-12 is hereby cancelled.
The Company will be recalling some pilots from furlough to satisfy Vacancy Notice (VN 08-12)
which remains in effect. The reason for this change in staffing is the revised fleet and utilization​
plan for 2009. The original plan called for 136 aircraft shrinking to 132 by year’s end with a​
lowered utilization rate throughout the year due to the then projected cost of fuel above $105 per
barrel. Current projections are still for a reduced fleet of 132 aircraft, but with significant
increases in aircraft utilization, especially on the B717. The net result will be an increased need
f​
or pilots on both aircraft types by summer 2009 and so the “rebalancing” of pilots from B737 to
B717 is no longer a beneficial move.

Recall notices are being distributed and the vacancies will be filled by recalled pilots.

HMMM... Do you guys ever get sick of being so negative???? WE ARE RECALLING PILOTS....... But then again I guess everything is JL and BF's fault..... I guess the $72 million AAI is projected to earn in 2009 is not enough for you guys. Guess what, Load factors are up again for Nov...... Get over it guys, this industry sucks, but AAI managment is doing what it takes to stay in business for a long, long time...

Scrub.... Looks like your gonna go up in the seniority list.....

The Reduction Award RN 08-12 is hereby cancelled.
The Company will be recalling some pilots from furlough to satisfy Vacancy Notice (VN 08-12)
which remains in effect. The reason for this change in staffing is the revised fleet and utilization​
plan for 2009. The original plan called for 136 aircraft shrinking to 132 by year’s end with a​
lowered utilization rate throughout the year due to the then projected cost of fuel above $105 per
barrel. Current projections are still for a reduced fleet of 132 aircraft, but with significant
increases in aircraft utilization, especially on the B717. The net result will be an increased need
f​
or pilots on both aircraft types by summer 2009 and so the “rebalancing” of pilots from B737 to
B717 is no longer a beneficial move.

Recall notices are being distributed and the vacancies will be filled by recalled pilots.
Ok I feel better now....thanks I needed that....

That 3-7% ASM reduction number for 2009 has been out there for some time now. With todays announcement about increased aircraft utilization, it looks like it will be closer to the 3% number which is good for all Airtran employees.

Latest resources

Back