AirTran cuts again for '09

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How many?

As one of the furloughed 171 I have made a concerted effort to stay away from this board for fear of either getting my hopes up or getting more angry. Now it begs the question... How many recalls are we talking about? When did that notice come out?

The NPA was notified by the company a little after 5:00 p.m. yesterday, about the same time the notices got pasted in ops, and a bunch of pilots started calling NPA reps as well.

Nobody knows the exact number as far as I know. The company's not really speaking to the union right now...

The timing also makes me wonder... Part of the ole Eastern management two-step? "Take it away, then, when you give it back, they'll just be happy to have what they HAD ALREADY, and won't ask for as much after that".

Not kidding. This actually works, scarily enough. Congrats to the returning furloughees and CA's who won't get displaced,,, BUT,,, keep your eye on the ball...

The NPA was notified by the company a little after 5:00 p.m. yesterday, about the same time the notices got pasted in ops, and a bunch of pilots started calling NPA reps as well.

Nobody knows the exact number as far as I know. The company's not really speaking to the union right now...

The timing also makes me wonder... Part of the ole Eastern management two-step? "Take it away, then, when you give it back, they'll just be happy to have what they HAD ALREADY, and won't ask for as much after that".

Not kidding. This actually works, scarily enough. Congrats to the returning furloughees and CA's who won't get displaced,,, BUT,,, keep your eye on the ball...
Airtran just recently became free cash flow positive again as our fuel bill has come down $30-40 million a month since summer. That is a big factor in the recent decision to increase aircraft utilization next summer. Do you really think we would have added these block hours back into the schedule if Jet A was still north of $3/gallon?

That being said, pilot group expectations will be going up as analysts continue to predict better times for Airtran. As we only take 7 aircraft deliveries through the end of 2011 and we still have late 2004 hires that are still FOs at the end of 2011, I will be the first to say that our FO side of the payscale needs alot more work than for our Captains. Our FOs have had the largest career expectation change and should be the top priority in contract 2009.

Last edited:
As one of the furloughed 171 I have made a concerted effort to stay away from this board for fear of either getting my hopes up or getting more angry. Now it begs the question... How many recalls are we talking about? When did that notice come out?
I read the notice to mean none of the 35 announced 717 First Officer vacancies are going to be filled by 737 transitions caused by the cancelled reduction notice. Thus, the 35 717 First Officer vacancies will need to be filled by recalling 35 furloughed first officers since the rest of the pilot group will remain in their current seat. We have been pretty well staffed this fall in every seat except for 717 FO. That is why there was only a vacancy bid for 717 FO included in the December bid pack.

apply_behaviours(); jQuery(document).ready(function($){ if (document.all) { $("#share-links li").hoverClass("sfHover"); } }); jQuery.fn.hoverClass = function(c) { return this.each(function(){ jQuery(this).hover( function() { jQuery(this).addClass(c); }, function() { jQuery(this).removeClass(c); } ); }); }; var articleLocation = document.URL.replace(/(http:\/\/.*?\/).*?(\/.*)/, '$1services$2'); var buzzURL = encodeURIComponent(articleLocation.split('?')[0]); ajc.com > Business > Delta
AirTran cutting flight capacity

By KELLY YAMANOUCHI
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Tuesday, December 02, 2008
AirTran Airways plans to cut its flight capacity by 3 to 7 percent next year, after reversing its growth plans this year.
AirTran, which is based in Orlando and has its main hub in Atlanta, is “focused more on liquidity than ever before,” said AirTran chief executive Bob Fornaro during a presentation at the Credit Suisse Global Airline Conference in New York on Tuesday.

AirTran already has cut its capacity by 6 to 7 percent in the fourth quarter of this year.
AirTran and other airlines are cutting capacity as they see demand slowing due to the recession.

Great more furloughs then?

Another post said they are recalling.

Ty.... Sorry, but if you expected anything else your an idiot. THIS IS THE AIRLINES.... It is a screwed up industry and always will be. It is never going to change. If you didn't know this when you signed up you should have became a doctor. Did you not research the history of the airlines??? Name 1 pax airline besides SWA that has happy pilots??? They don't exist dude, and they never really will... Alaska pilots are pissed at managment, AMR pilots are pissed at managment, UAL pilots are pissed at managment, USAIR pilots are pissed at managment, CAL pilots are pissed at managment, DAL and NWA pilots have basically given up being pissed at managment. MEH pilots are pissed, so is Spirit and ASA, Comair, Horizon, Mesa..... and so on and so on.......... If you expected anything different then your crazy. At least AAI has managed to stay out of bankruptcy and given you a paycheck every 2 weeks. Does the stuff they do p1ss me off? Heck ya, but I wouldn't want to be on the other side of the fence anywhere (with the exception of SWA, UPS, or Fedex). AAI is no worse then any of the other airlines, but AAI is much better then a lot of them..... BTW.. What kind of contract did you think you were gonna get with fuel prices over $100 a barrel?? Maybe, just maybe they will stay down for the next year and we will have some bargaining power again, but ever since fuel started going up and we turned down TA2 (which I voted down) we haven't exactly had any bargaining power....

Latest resources

Back