Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

(HCDAW)

Hi all:

I'm hoping I can get some help from some of the AirTran pilots out there.

I am a member of a team that is analyzing the Southwest/AirTran acquisition as part of a project for an MBA course we are taking. My module requires me to look at the cultures of the two companies and opine on any challenges they may face during integration.

I have a good sense for the Southwest culture, but I don't know much about AirTran. Would someone be willing to comment on the AirTran culture?

You can be as general or specific as you like, but it would be helpful if you could comment on: any underlying organizational values that AirTran promotes; the managerial culture; any organizational heroes (along the lines of Herb Kelleher at Southwest); any organizational myths or stories (like Southwest giving a bottle of liquor to travelers to compete with Braniff I think it was?), any organizational rituals (like Southwest's spirit parties), and any cultural symbols (roughly defined as any setting or image that a company may use to make a statement about the company...Southwest has tons of pictures lining the wall of their headquarters, for example).

Of course you can PM me if you would prefer not to post in the open forum.

I really appreciate the help!

PS: In case you are wondering, I was a pilot with Southwest for two years, but I am no longer there. I have absolutely no ulterior motive or agenda; I honestly just want to help my team get a decent grade. Thanks!

Study a Russian work camp, that will give you an idea what the culture is at AT on a good day.

Study a Russian work camp, that will give you an idea what the culture is at AT on a good day.

He said he's working on an MBA and wanted insight into airtran management culture. A more appropriate study would be the movie "Scarface.".

Pick any company that is completely incompetent and covers for it by using fear and intimidation, that would be us.

Pick any company that is completely incompetent and covers for it by using fear and intimidation, that would be us.

That sounds like most of corporate America.

Wonderful people to work with, difficult company to work for.

You aren't there anymore? Can we ask why not?

Sure...I really enjoyed the flying and my time at Southwest, but I guess I would say it was the combination of a slow economy, age 65, and the prospect of slow advancement. I suppose the job wasn't a good fit for my family, so I decided to take the opportunity to change careers. It's definitely been an interesting experience, but I would be lying if I said there aren't times when I miss the job.

Thanks for the input!

AirTran captains are very greedy.

AirTran captains are very greedy.

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures, the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge, has marked the upward surge of mankind and greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the U.S.A."

Latest resources

Back