• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran contract, must haves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NO ONE at AAI is asking for a "UAL + 1%" type of contract, so don't even try to make that comparison.

Look, we need to get an immediate 7-10% raise across the board to offset 2+ years of COL that we haven't been compensated for. We need to cut medical insurance by at least 25%. We need to clean up the language in the contract so there are no more "we are now interpreting this differently" BS. We also need to boost FO pay, especially in the year 3 - 7 years and extend it to a 12 year scale.

More than likely we are going to have to give up the reserve pay system. We are the only airline in the world that gets paid reserve like this, and it was an obvious mistake in the last contract.

I don't think that's asking for the moon. I don't think we should accept any less either.

We are also the only airline in the world that calls their reserve pilots in to work 19 out of 20 days they are on call.

I believe I can paraphrase AP "We will not agree to any pilot pay concessions!"

Well, you pay your reserves 70 hours to be away from base 19 days a/month and your reserves have just taken a 25% pay cut. Trust me.

Now if they give something back specifically to the reserves for this (i.e - higher minimum days off, or higher guarantee) then it's a little more realistic. Oh, by the way the company must then also allow reserves to pick up flying on their days off if they want to fly more to make more.

Also, it wasn't a mistake it was an arbitration that the company lost. Then they back-doored the process by getting permission from the arbitrator to "URP" (also called give one the day(s) off) a reserve two days before a work period and not pay him for it.

AFcitris,

I agree with you 100%. I guess I didn't verbalize my ideas on reserve very well. I do see the current system as a major target of managements, and one of the most probable "concessions" our union will agree to. However, I won't vote for it unless they implement some of the suggestions you have - like more days off on reserve, higher guarantee and the ability to pick up trips on your days off. Reserve should be for reserve - not used as part of the equation for building lines.

Remember if pilots get more, everyone else, FA's, Mechs, Customer Service will all want more. But they will only have to raise fares to offset the demands on the bottom line. It is all so simple, so growth slows down a little, so it takes 5 yrs to make Capt instead of 3. But there will be that emense feeling of satisfaction that comes with winning a big TA, I am sure the UAL, DAL, etc. piltos felt the same way 7 or so years ago.

Oh $hit,Yip...don't go acting like ya know the airline biz...At least take your kneepads off first and get out from under yer boss's desk.

Jeez - louise - martha Freightdog!!! How in the heck is guy supposed to concentrate on what he's reading let alone come up with an intelligent thought when you've got that picture on your post. I read what you say but once I finish I can't remember anything that I just read. I can't get those suckers (no pun intended, well maybe a little pun) out of my mind.

Whew!!

In a pig's ear

no dogfred, just a dose of reality as I have seen it in my life. Unions have done some great things at airlines with strong bottom lines. There appear to be some reasonable work rules changes in this message, but Airtran is a marginal airline, and you can not make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. However this is a pilot board and it does not deal in reality.

Last edited:
You guys are doomed if you listen to these nah-sayers. Shoot for the moon, believe me, management is. Sounds like you've got some Kool-aid drinkers speaking for management pretty loud. We've all seen where that leads.

Latest resources

Back