• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran CEO takes a crack at the Republic/Midwest Deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA AAI won't think it's funny when he references the Republic 190 CA and especially FO rates during their 6th year of negotiations.
He can reference those rates all he wants, but do you really think that after 5 years of negotiating and 3 straight quarters of 10% operating margins/record profits that our pilots will accept anything less than industry standard? And our East Coast peer group is Jetblue, Delta, USAirways, and Southwest, not Republic. I think Fornaro made it clear that Republic is just an RJ carrier that won't be able to compete with Airtran, Southwest, or Jetblue.

Funny how people still judge Valujet buy the unfortunate crash, which was probably the only incident (of many) that wasn't of their own making..

Who said it had anything to do with equipment type???

EMB wages

ALPA AAI won't think it's funny when he references the Republic 190 CA and especially FO rates during their 6th year of negotiations.

EMB rates, I would think, should be closer to the DC-9 size rates than the RJ's. It seems like the "mission creep" of the small prop wages into RJ's; then into small narrow bodies. It's going to be kind of difficult to make a comfortable wage if this continues (not that I make one now); regardless of platform.

EMB rates, I would think, should be closer to the DC-9 size rates than the RJ's. It seems like the "mission creep" of the small prop wages into RJ's; then into small narrow bodies. It's going to be kind of difficult to make a comfortable wage if this continues (not that I make one now); regardless of platform.

Agree 100%. One can only hope that the Republic pilots can obtain a decent wage. Based on their current ones, I doubt it.

Heard 84 flights a day out of MKE next summer, more than double compared to this summer. Gate agent in MKE stated, flights being loaded into res. computers soon.

AirTran is really stepping up their game in mke. They are very lucky they have that headstart on the one and true low fare leader, southwest. This gives Tran a semi-chance. As far as I understand, all those midwest customers are still flying midwest since its become an all RJ operation. As long as the products are similar between old and new midwest, there's a good chance the customers will remain. Midwest is the hometown carrier, and even though fares dictate a lot, the hometown airline thing still has some say. Now if tran and southwest start offering unrealistic fares (like $10), that's when people MAY leave the hometown carrier and all carriers start bleeding themselves to death in mke.

AirTran is really stepping up their game in mke. They are very lucky they have that headstart on the one and true low fare leader, southwest. This gives Tran a semi-chance.

This is really the first time that Southwest has entered a market after AirTran has established itself. Almost every other time, AirTran has come in after Southwest. FL is doing well out of BWI, MCO and MDW, all big Southwest markets. So I would give AirTran more than a "semi-chance."

Latest resources

Back