Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran, are you now ready to consider ALPA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So your elected officials said no. And ALPA refused to help even though your Elected union leaders refused to any agreement. In other words APA forced this on you so shouldn't you be blaming them and not ALPA? I guess I don't get who and why your mad at.

I'm NOT doubting you all got the shaft but why is ALPA fully to blame?

Time for a reading assignment: http://www.twapilots.com/html/complaint.html

ALPA essentially refused to do anything but mislead the TWA pilots into a severely disadvantaged position.

Then again, join ALPA. It'll lessen the assessment for all.

stlflyguy

Time for a reading assignment: http://www.twapilots.com/html/complaint.html

ALPA essentially refused to do anything but mislead the TWA pilots into a severely disadvantaged position.

Then again, join ALPA. It'll lessen the assessment for all.

stlflyguy

Proving a lack of good faith is an almost impossible nut to crack. I still don't get what motive ALPA would have to intentionally screw you over? They lost further membership with the deal, didn't they. I think your going after the wrong people......TWA mgmt or American mgmt along with their pilots would be a better target one would think.

Proving a lack of good faith is an almost impossible nut to crack. I still don't get what motive ALPA would have to intentionally screw you over? They lost further membership with the deal, didn't they. I think your going after the wrong people......TWA mgmt or American mgmt along with their pilots would be a better target one would think.

I believe you to be predisposed to thinking that it could never happen. That's fine. Let it play out in court.

stlflyguy

Oh, it'll play out in court. The result will be the same as the result from the ridiculous RJDC lawsuit: a settlement that pays you pennies on the dollar for your legal expenses.

I believe you to be predisposed to thinking that it could never happen. That's fine. Let it play out in court.

stlflyguy

No, I DO believe it all happened. But was it illegal? I think the senior guys were trying to save themselves and realized if they fought this integration, without playing along, everyone would be screwed. In other words they did not want to over play their hand, which is wise when you are negotiating from bankruptcy court. NWA mechanics overplayed their hand even when they knew it was a losing hand - they could of saved a few jobs but choose to fight and like everyone predicted they lost.

Dude I really feel for you and you did get screwed but I would let it go. Your sanity is more important and you can't really blame the people your blaming. IMHO.

A few points in favor of ALPA:

1. A shiny magazine.
2. Loss of license/medical protection.
3. Resources.
4. Legal dept. that's worth a damn.
5. It can't get much worse than NPA.
6. They're cheaper.

ALPA's motive seemed to be getting the $30 million in dues American pilots would bring. I could see Duane throwing the 2300 TWA guys under the bus for 11,000 American pilots. Also, lack of good faith seems easy to prove in the fact that ALPA continually lied to TWA and Duane refused to divulge what was going on. However things ended up, ALPA had an obligation to fairly represent TWA but let a conflict of interest lead them down another path.

Can those scumbag scabs even be part of ALPA again? Arent they banned for life or something?
As far as Teamsters, I do not know if it would be better, worse, or the same. I do know that if Teamster union was the pilot union back at the Eastern problem then the scabs would have trouble eating solid food again... ever. Netjets are teamsters and they have a good contract and the best medical. I have a few family members that are Teamsters retired and they have pretty good pensions and awesome medical coverage. I remember when a threat of Teamster strike would cripple an industry and get companies to take notice. I have known Teamster employees that were making over 20 bucks an hour driving forklifts and that was back in the 80s. No union has ever had it easy. No labor group as it easy. Any mangement team that works for a public traded company has to get the most from employees for as little as possible. That is their job. Our job is to move airplanes and their job is to make sure it is done as cheaply as possible. There really is no light at the end of this tunnel so might as well drive as fast as possible.

Netjets dumped the Teamsters and created their own union.

Latest resources

Back