AirTran announces Detroit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I dunno about this one....

NWA is the king of predatory tactics. Not a fight I would have picked. But it is not my airline and it is not my money so flame away.

Haven't been to the Wheat&Rhye since COEX days. Will be nice to go back and pig out and drink cheap beer.

I actually like DTW and seeing those red tailed 747's and DC-10's is a sight. Too bad it looks as if we've decided to play chicken with NWA.

IAHERJ

If they don't file by oct17 the rules change for reorganization.

fletch717 said:

If you think you may HAVE TO GO sometime after OCT 17th, it would be smart to go before.

Bye Bye--General Lee

fletch717 said:

Fletch...you are correct. The rules change.

But your previous comment said that Northwest had indicated that it planned to file in September.

This still doesn't prove that they plan to file in September.

The General is right..... if they think they are going to file, the prudent thing to do would be to take advantage of the "old laws". However, that depends on a number of factors, some of which may delay the filing until after Oct 17th. (Certain liquidity levels may, in fact, be above the minimum required until after Oct 17th...etc...which may or may not delay a filing).

320AV8R

Last edited:
That's true, however the finanical experts are speculating that this is a very real possibility. Northwest is on the verge of a strike and is losing millions. Meanwhile they are facing tough competition in more and more of their markets. My original post simply stated that AirTran chose DTW in response to NWA starting service from FNT-LAS. FNT has always been a secondary market mainly served by NWA express. That is why AirTran chose to go there instead of DTW to begin with.Only with Airtrans arrival has there been increase in mainline service to LAS,MCO,TPA and others from FNT. I simply stated that I believe Joe and company said to themselves that if NWA came to our secondary cities then AT will go to their bread and butter cities. As Joe L stated in a web call some time ago " We chose what city we will fly to, we set our price and we make money at that price".

I remember when ol NWA had a couple Saabs and a -9 overnite. Maybe I'm wrong... But when ol AirTran started putting 2 717's up there all of a sudden ...... A320's, -9's, Avros..... As much concrete as they can get there hands on... I'm sure at the same lovely 39 dollars. ?? I have to ask what is NWA doing ? Wouldnt those seats be better placed somewhere more lucrative ? I know territory is everything... and 'they' (red tail marketing) is real worried about market share these days... But,, Why misuse equipment only to defend a market?? And at the price of the employees.. NWA rudder kickers... Dont get sucked into the propoganda Steenlands boys are handing the fine folks of NWA...

I guess there is big money to be made in Flint town... ? Especially since the auto industy is doing so well these days...?

At least big ol Delta had the cash to throw at us in Ft Walton.. couple years back ?

And our negotiations with managemet.... could be the next reality show fellas ..... LOL>>>>>

I was thinking the same thing. I remember when it was only Metroliners to DTW, maybe an ocassional F-27, and an Eagle Shorts to ORD.

I guess the hunter has become the hunted. Glad to see AirTran bringing the fight right to the front yard of the big boys.

Jetjockey said:
Glad to see AirTran bringing the fight right to the front yard of the big boys.

Why does that make you glad?

Fletch.....before you said:

Northwest has indicated they most likely will file bankruptcy in sept.
You have yet to provide any proof that NWA said this.

Now you say:
That's true, however the finanical experts are speculating that this is a very real possibility.
Ahhhhh....those "experts" and their spectulation. The same ones that said UAL and USAir were DOA 2 years ago.

320AV8R

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back